Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,419   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for getting back to me rmann,

My Zone VI doesn't have locks on how far the legs spread and it isn't an issue. With the Zone VI you can tighten the bolts at the top of the tripods legs to create more friction, which prevents the legs from spreading easily. Can't you do the same thing with a Berlebach? I never set up my gear on tiles or other smooth artificial surfaces, just out in nature where the tripod legs have something to bite into, so I can't see this being a problem.

I don't foresee using the preset angles at all.

Tripods are like boats in that there's no one perfect design, just the one with the least amount of compromises for the kind of work you do. So far (my quest to find THE ONE isn't over) the 9033 seems to be leading the pack.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two castle nuts that can be tightened for more or less resistance. I suppose one could be replaced with a wing nut. I'll have to look at the 9033, what does it have that you like?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tripod Report 8023

Mounting head with centre column and Fastening screw. Centre column gives additional convenient height adjustment. These centre columns are made from precision-drawn light-metal tubing and are built i [...]
    - Weight: 2,80 kg = 6,17 lb.
    - Transportation length: 69 cm = 27 inch
    - Minimum height: 52 cm = 20 inch
    - Maximum height: 176 cm = 69 inch
    - Load capacity: 10,00 kg = 22,05 lb.
    - Vibration damping: good

Tripod Report 9033

Mounting head with ball/socket and built-in spirit level, maintenance-free ball seated in high-grade plastic, spring mounted fastening screw. This tripod version is equipped with an additional levelli [...]
    - Weight: 2,90 kg = 6,39 lb.
    - Transportation length: 77 cm = 30 inch
    - Minimum height: 9 cm = 4 inch
    - Maximum height: 154 cm = 61 inch
    - Load capacity: 8,00 kg = 17,64 lb.
    - Vibration damping: good

I'm looking at the height and load.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Curt,

What does it have that I like?

It weighs 6.39 pounds, is 30 inches when folded up (so I can strap it to my pack when scrambling or snowshoeing), goes to 61" (which will put the middle of the ground glass at eye level), gets close to ground level, has a levelling base for the tripods head instead of a centre column, and is affordable. Them's the biggies for me.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 12-18-2010 at 12:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comparison info. I use a Wista 4x5 field camera, so a capacity of 17 pounds is overkill

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 12-18-2010 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both the 8023 and the 9033 are over 17 pounds load, on is 8 and one is 10 kg, I see that the 9033 has an integral head which might be good and it would be shorter than mine with a head mounted on it. I can change the head though, I have a Manfrotto 410 head that works very well and I like using it. It seems perfectly matched to the tripod. The Bogen 3047 head is on most of the time with field cameras.

You brought up questions I hadn't thought of regarding carbon fiber tripods, let us know which model tripod you get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t273_96e23611f8b2844c0d2e43cc089cf457.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm planning on putting a lightweight pan-tilt head on it. The levelling base I'll use to get a wicked quick level surface for taking multi image sequences, a project I've been working on for a long time...no more time consuming micro adjusting tripod legs anymore. Haven't really started looking for the head yet.

I did take my old 7 pound Tiltall for a walk in the bush yesterday strapped to my packsack just to get a sense of how the 9033 would feel. I made sure it was 30" long, and it worked out just fine. It was well below my head so it didn't get hung up in branches, and it didn't hit my legs at all either. It also wasn't heavy enough to feel like someone was trying to pull my pack backwards.

The other contender is a carbon fibre Gitzo 1325 which weighs 4.45 pounds, plus I'd want the levelling base which adds 1.32 pounds, for a total of 5.77 pounds. The Berlebach 9033 with a levelling base weighs 6.5 pounds, less than a pound more, and at around $320.00 costs almost one third what the Gitzo with the levelling head does.

Berlebach nudges into the lead

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 12-20-2010 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up a 8043 and put a quick release plate on it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Assembly.html
    This I found is the same plate as what is on my other Induro tripod (back in for rebuild again ). I have a Cullman ball head on it and they all use same QR plates. With the 30% tilt on this center column I doubt I will put a ball head on it.

Any one want to buy a newly rebuilt Induru C313?

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin