Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,495   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Filters for big lenses?

Any economical solutions for filters used with lenses like Symmar 5.6/300mm or larger.

I have pretty much adapted Cokin's P adapter with gelatin holders during last decades but it offers adapters only up to 82mm diameter - which is too small, even for my largest MF lenses.

For now, I have only two ideas. One is to built own "adapter" like this and use cokin's filters in hope that they won't get scratched.
    Of course, there's no way to use polarizing or graduated filters with such DIY adapter.

Another option would go for another system which gives basic setup, adapter + filter holder cheaply (is there such system, Cokin's own Z and X systems aren't cheap, in fact even Lee is cheaper).
    Going for hunt bargain filters from Ebay for eg. 95mm diameter and use these with step up rings?

EDIT: How about using filter attached to back of the lens? Assuming that there's enough space in the bellows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pro shade (compendium type) for my Bronica has slots in front and rear. Do any LF compendium shades have those?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The lee filter system has an adapter to use the 105mm polariser on the front of the filter holder, you can buy an adapter to fit it onto the front of the symmar, for coloured filters it is perfectly fine to put them over the back element ,you can buy a cheap lee filter holder which does just that and takes wratten or any other gel filters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a much better example of a home made 95 mm filter adapter...

Uses Calumet 4x4 resin filter mounts:
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...ounts_/le50004

Bore a 100 mm (3-15/16") diameter hole in a 4-1/2 x 5-1/4" piece of 1/4" plywood. The hole should be just a bit smaller than the lens O.D.
    Glue some wood rails on both edges.
    Saw a slot thru to the hole for a "springy" fit onto your lens.
    Clean up an polish to your pleasure.

The basic idea can be applied to front or rear lens filters.
    Been makin' 'em for years.
    Simple.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nikkor 1200 + filter.JPG   210 S Symm + filt.JPG  
    Last edited by Reinhold; 12-18-2010 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: better photo's

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin