Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,790   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film holders 4x5 for Speed Graphic with Graphic /spring/ back.

Hi to everybody !

I just bought a speed Graflex 4x5 with Graphic /spring/ back. I intend to purchase some film holders, but found difficult to distinguish them in the Ebay listing, because not every seller note if it is compatible.
    If you can provide me with some parameters, which are specific for them, I will be very thankful !

Regards !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't found any standard 4x5 holders that don't fit the spring back. Some of the special film holders, like the Polaroid 405, are a little thick, requiring a longer screw and a spacer on the spring, but standard sheet film holders have all been a straightforward slide-in affair for me. Other may have had different results, but I haven't heard of problems.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    I haven't found any standard 4x5 holders that don't fit the spring back. Some of the special film holders, like the Polaroid 405, are a little thick, requiring a longer screw and a spacer on the spring, but standard sheet film holders have all been a straightforward slide-in affair for me. Other may have had different results, but I haven't heard of problems.
    I hope, you do not mean Graflok back ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just about all of the 5x4 double dark slide film holders you will see for sale conform to a standard set of dimensions. However, be aware that there are also similar looking holders which take glass plates and are not suitable for film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As I understand, every cut sheet film holder, which matches Graflok /international/ back, will matches the previous Graphic /spring/ back as well ?
    Last edited by Demetrius; 12-19-2010 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any holder will work.

The graflok back just makes it easier to attach roll-film backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought 3 Fidelity Deluxe film holders used from keh.com, i am not sure if they are working fine from this thread, but i need to start to shoot LF to find out, but i am really looking to buy new film holder just to be sure i have something new at least, i was going to buy TOYO film holders as long they are available with Fidelity just to see the difference, but i really look for to buy a Polaroid back just in case if possible/available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
    Any holder will work.

The graflok back just makes it easier to attach roll-film backs.
    No, no, no.

There are two different 4"x5" Graphic and Graflex backs.

One is the "standard" 4x5 two sheet film holder that does not have a groove on each side.
    The other is the Graflex 4x5 two sheet film holder that has a groove on each side.

The second has a knife-like edges that slide into the two grooves while the first will fit into a Graflok holder or spring back.

It sound like the OP is talking about the "standard" holder for a spring back. However, too be sure, please post a photograph of your spring back on this thread.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve is absolutly correct. The greflex holders with the groove will not fit. I have 3 of them by accident from an eBay purchase that prove it.

The old ones are becoming scarcer by the month, however. Any of the new plastic holders, Lisco, Riteway, or Fidelity will fit properly. It's only the wooden ones you need to examine.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No, no, no.

There are two different 4"x5" Graphic and Graflex backs.

One is the "standard" 4x5 two sheet film holder that does not have a groove on each side.
    The other is the Graflex 4x5 two sheet film holder that has a groove on each side.

The second has a knife-like edges that slide into the two grooves while the first will fit into a Graflok holder or spring back.

It sound like the OP is talking about the "standard" holder for a spring back. However, too be sure, please post a photograph of your spring back on this thread.

Steve
    Oops, thanks for the correction.

Aren't the holders you're talking about extremely old? pre-dating the spring back? so if the TS just makes sure he stays away from the antique looking holders he should be okay. Right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin