Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,855   Online: 764

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I would highly recommend "Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga.
    See: http://www.dykinga.com/books/index.html
    I'll second that, very good book to start with for nature/landscape photography.

Unfortunately not read Steve Simmons book.

Shooter
    Large Format
    E-mail me and I'll send you copies of handouts we use in our workshops for film, filmholers, and movements.

I agree tha film and filmholders will take you about 5 minutes to master, as mentioned previously. If you follow our handouts, movements will take about 10 minutes...it's much simpler than often claimed.

Bruce

Images
    I read as much as I could and when i realized I wasn't getting anywhere I went out a played with the camera. That is where I learned how to use it. I like the idea of using out of date film, but keep notes. Once I started to do that it was cake. More than anything a view camera seems to take practice to be understood. Play with your toys don't just read about them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Amen to Bruce's post above. Most of the situations you encounter will require very modest use of movements. It is rare to find a situation where yo need to twist your camera into a pretzel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey - I didn't realise this thread was still going!

John - I intend to produce the perfect negative after my first exposure. When I come crying to this forum after my first failure, try not to be too hard on me....

Mark - British summer time is ending. Pretty soon, I'll be in classes like a kid all over again during the day time, which will leave weekends and evenings mostly to photograph. Come on - you must read some of the time?? I'll get the practice okay.....whether I get any better with it...heh heh

I'd like to see Bruce's notes and read up a bit more, so that I'm not just bending every lever possible. The last time I tried to focus the view camera, it looked really bent and warped when I got out from under the dark cloth. That wasn't so bad as suddenly seeing all these people standing there watching me. They looked like they were going to ask me if I was feeling alright. But you know people. Anything under a blanket, and they suddenly get curious.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

If time is precious, the best bet would be personal help from someone used to view cameras. Where you try to find such help I don't know and I realise that you may not be asking if this were possible. I have not met another photographer into LF let alond learned from one. I am sure that thuis is by far the fastest route to success and the good news is that LFers tend to be very nice helpful people! Unfortunately I am 6000 miles away!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images

New to large format - recommendations?

I have to agree with Mark. The best thing to do is set up the camera and play with it.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    Hey - I didn't realise this thread was still going!

John - I intend to produce the perfect negative after my first exposure. When I come crying to this forum after my first failure, try not to be too hard on me....
    That's the Story! Start out as you mean to continue. And don't look down :-).
    Personally I wish people were harder on me sometimes ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    They looked like they were going to ask me if I was feeling alright. But you know people. Anything under a blanket, and they suddenly get curious.......
    So true - just don't do anything your shouldn't under there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "They looked like they were going to ask me if I was feeling alright. But you know people. Anything under a blanket, and they suddenly get curious......."

- "So true - just don't do anything your shouldn't under there."

Don't worry John. All I'll do is play with my knobs....... - you know - the big one that puts things in focus. And get practice like every other woman tells me.

hbc

Images
    welcome to the world of large format, now remmember it is just camera, a box with a piece of glass in front, its your vision or eye, mind that takes the picture. some of the best portraits i ever saw were by mary ellen mark taken with a sx70 polaroid camera still unmistakenly mary ellen mark, i once heard arnol newman at the university of the arts in philadelphia say that his most recogniced photos were taken with a crowngraphic, as simple as 4x5 can get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin