Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

New to large format - recommendations?

I'm new here and amazed at this fabulous website.

I'm using a 5x4" for college in September and I haven't really understood how to use it so I'm just trying to learn how to load film and master movements.

Any tips for a starter?

If anyone can recommend any large format reading I'd be really pleased.

Thanks,

Tom

Images
    if you haven't found it yet, www.largeformatphotography.info has a ton of resources and before anyone else mentions it, there is a free article on the view camera magazine website about it as well.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    If anyone can recommend any large format reading I'd be really pleased.
    I would highly recommend "Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga. It is more than just a book about nature photography, Jack has sections on view camera movements as well as how to use the view camera. Plus, you get to look at the pictures as an added bonus!!!

See: http://www.dykinga.com/books/index.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    if you haven't found it yet, [url]... before anyone else mentions it, there is a free article on the view camera magazine website about it as well.

Brian
    LOL Brian...
    Mike C

Rambles

Tom
    Welcome to the wonderful world of LF photography.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A very accessible book for beginners is Steve Simmons' _Using the View Camera_. Stroebel is more thorough, but might be better as a reference once you're oriented.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Many thanks for the welcome guys - I feel like I'm out of my depth (of focus too) with large format. Excuse me if I ask really obvious questions (like how to load film?) in the future.

I've got my book list and a long weekend so I'll go and try and find some of these titles that you recommend - I've heard of Simmons - he seems to be a popular intro to large format. Will check out Stoebel and the other title too.

Cheers,

Tom

Try this web site

www.viewcamera.com

There are several articles in the Free Article secton

Here is some additional reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Using the View Camera that wrote

both of these are more easily read than Stroebal which is better as a long term reference rather than an intro book

steve simmons

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve

I'm going to melt with embarrassment. I can't believe you've just replied to my post!

Can I have your autograph on your book, huh?!

Thanks for the additional recommendations. I probably will try and find an intro and a reference book. Off to the shops tomorrow to see.

Cheers,

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Buy a lot of inexpensive outdated film (ebay is good) and practice with it. You are going to make mistakes so burn up a bunch of throw-away negs and see what you can do. this will save money,introduce you to your camera and get you over the intimidation we all had when we moved into LF.

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin