Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,986   Online: 977

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    Well now I'm even more indecisive!

I do not want something I have to wrestle with in order to get it into position. This is annoying in any circumstance, let alone when its below zero and my fingers have lost most of their tactile abilities.

It also seems like the picture I'm getting is that wood is more durable against the big knocks, but metal might be better for the usual "getting bumped around." Fair assessment?
    I wouldn't call setting up a Wista wrestling

The differences in operation are really slight, I can get my 45DX set up in about 30 second, and in the cold an all metal camera might be worse. On the few occasions when I go out shooting with other photographers I've often got my shot with my Wista while even MF users are still setting up

Ideally you need to try both options, maybe find some LF users near you.

A wooden camera has one other advantage - a lot more people will stop and talk to you when your out using it

Ian

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... A wooden camera has one other advantage - a lot more people will stop and talk to you when your out using it
    Ha ha, I experience that all the time with my wooden pinhole camera and honestly, as interesting it is to talk to other people, sometimes it can be a disadvantage because you get distracted or miss the right time for your capture.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If money is an issue, I'd seriously consider a Chamonix 45N-2. Carbon fiber and teak. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise, an Ebony 45SU just might be the ticket for longevity.

Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you get, the graflok back option is highly desirable. You can use a metal hood to reduce the need to use a darkcloth, you can snap a instant film back in and shoot color fuji instant, and of course use rollfilm adaptors. The normal traditional spring back is very functional, but doesn't spring back far enough to allow the instant film adaptor.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ian made a good point about cold weather operation (one of the reasons I like woods pods (have used both wood and metal pods in sub-freezing weather...wood is much nicer...even in the 32F to 40F temps.)

And one gets quick using whatever type of camera one owns. I have lent my Gowland PocketView, but people only borrow it once due to its lack of indents, etc. But I love it (bought it new about 25 years ago).

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    A wooden camera has one other advantage - a lot more people will stop and talk to you when your out using it

Ian
    ...personally, that is one huuuge disadvantage! I'm not very fond of people in general, much less so when I'm out with a camera trying to get away from them!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's say from those 6 models, which one will you go for if you want good price and available movements? (Price i mean something less than $3000 or in range of $500-3000)

Ebony
    Shen Hao
    Wista
    Tachihara
    Chamonix
    Toyo-view

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    ...personally, that is one huuuge disadvantage! I'm not very fond of people in general, much less so when I'm out with a camera trying to get away from them!
    I agree. People coming up and asking a million questions is usually annoying. If I don't want to talk I just give polite but overly concise answers to their questions. Though it can be nice to have someone to chat with at night during a 20 minute exposure. I usually just like being in my own space though.

I like the price of that Chamomix. How does it compare to a wista or. Lotus?
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've met some very interesting people as a result of using a visibly old camera in public. The first person stories of old related to photography are often interesting. I'll take a few boring/curious conversations along with the really interesting first person history. It's sort of the same deal with old cars.

I think I'm a better listener than talker, and many strangers are thrilled to find a listener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    I agree. People coming up and asking a million questions is usually annoying.
    However, some of these conversions have ended up with people giving me cameras and lenses that they were not using!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin