Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,144   Posts: 1,658,102   Online: 758

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    However, some of these conversions have ended up with people giving me cameras and lenses that they were not using!
    Hmm. In that case maybe I should go out shooting when theres actually people around and not at 3am like I usually do.

Then again, the people you encounter in the city at 3am are usually the most entertaining. A guy a few nights ago who was either stoned or drunk (probably both) could not comprehend that my camera was NOT a video camera, and went on and on about how he wants to shoot (video) of street scenes at night for Adult Swim commercials.

Another guy was talking to me during a 17 minute exposure about how the area we were in was a known hiding place for gay rapists which made me a little frightened and quickly got out of these after my exposure was through.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But before this thread gets too off track, can anyone speak to the quality of the Chamonix against a pricier camera? I do like the Lotus a lot from what I see, buts its also $3000...
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been out shooting with a couple of Chamonix owners and they seem to be excellent cameras, both are very happy with theirs. They aren't APUG members unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And my question is still waiting the answer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    And my question is still waiting the answer
    If you're really anxious for an answer, perhaps a new thread might be your best bet

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    If you're really anxious for an answer, perhaps a new thread might be your best bet
    And you sure that a new thread will give me an answer? I feel all the answer i will get is to buy whatever, and the worse will be that many members will recommend me each of them so going in circle or no decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    And you sure that a new thread will give me an answer? I feel all the answer i will get is to buy whatever, and the worse will be that many members will recommend me each of them so going in circle or no decision.
    Everybody will give you a different answer because everybody has different needs. Perhaps making a list of thing you need and require will help narrow the list.
    I have a old Wista it only takes lens to 300mm and the bellows are fixed making it hard to use anything wider the 90mm. I like the look of the Ebony and although not on your list the Walker XL.
    All 4x5 cameras are good and will take 4x5 photos. There just different in some respects

Some section criteria I would use.
    Weight
    Bellows length
    Portability
    Designed len use

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's say i will take out Toya, Wista, Chamonix, so i am mostly eye'd on the other three, mostly the Ebony and Tachihara, but Ebony is a bit expensive and i can buy only the body, the other two [Shen-Hao, Tachi] i can get the kit or complete in less than one Ebony body, but really i like the Ebony design a lot.

Weight is not an issue because i will use tripod always and no asking to hand hold, bellow length i think i should make that into consideration maybe i need long one sometimes, portability i don't know that but if that is depend on the weight then as i said that i will use tripod all the time, and in fact those models above i mentioned i found or will choose that body with about 2-3kg so the whole system many not be above 4-5kg, my digital Canon many times go above 3-4kg, and about designed len use i really don't know that and i hope that make a change in my choice if i know it more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What would you folk say about a Graflex camera for someone looking for an all-around field camera which adds the ability to be handheld?
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, here is my opinion, and my reasoning. I am sure that not everyone will agree with me but at least there are lots around here who do.

I used to own a Shen Hao until I sold it for financial reasons. When I am able to, I expect I will get another. The reasons are:

1. Cost. The lower cost will free up funds for lenses, accessories, etc.
    2. Flexibility. It has lots of movements and longer bellows than most cameras in its class.
    3. Reliability and ruggedness. It is really well built.

The down side is that it is really heavy for a wood camera, about a pound heavier than the Tachihara, if I recall correctly. That is not a huge issue to me, but it is a bit of an issue.

The things that I could get for more money are for me luxuries that I would rather not spend my money on at this time. If I was in a position where the money saved on the camera was not important to me, I might consider an Ebony or one of the more exotic cameras.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin