Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,070   Online: 916

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About LF Lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW! Expected lots of opinions, you guys deliver. Being a little slow to react on major purchases I find I'm most comfortable working through the these things with some reasonable plan. The input here is SUPER.

What you guys have given in advice is invaluable, and covers areas I was not aware of, like Donald's comment about bellows extension - had not thought about that. Also, not sure if a long lens is really needed for the type of photography I do - mostly landscapes and buildings. I do like to do a macro landscape, ie parts of the building which I thought might be easier to do with a long lens, however a 210 might fit the bill just fine.

Scootermm, I understand your point about one lens, and that is pretty much what I plan on doing for the near term with the Crown Graphic - it has a 135 Optar. Not a bad lens, and seems to fit the Crown (with it's limited movements).

Tom, appreciate the info about the Shen-Hao as is it on the list of cameras I plan to look at - along with a Tachihara and Zone VI, again all used...just can't see paying for a new one.

Well now to lay everything out and run the compares..will have more questions in the future - lens and camera. Plan to build a compare list to help with features, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Plus maybe I should see what Jim C will have with his new cameras....hmmmmmm!!!

Thanks Guys!
    Mike C

Rambles

Don't worry about brand names at this point. Decide on what featurs you want and then find a body that has them. It's features and bellows that should determine which brand and model you get.

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve, appreciate your input. You are correct at this stage it's more important to determine the features, then match them to brand/model.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The LF lens selection IS overwhelming; the resources from View Camera are probably as comprehensive as it gets. I got enough info from the LF website to get me going, but would still like to know more.

Don't be afraid of the Classic Oldies. I dare anyone to guess what lens was used to take a picture. I've never seen anyone criticized because they used 7.85 SnapDragoon when a 7.96 Super SnapDragoon would have been a better choice. I have two Commercial Ektars made in 1948, a Wollensak Raptar, A 9.5" Goertz Dagor, and a 90mm Angulon. Everyone of them takes a decent picture if I do my part. None of them were made later than 1960 and who knows how many owners they have had. And I'll be a goatroper if anyone can tell which one I used on any specific picture.

I'll add one thing to Simmons' advice; Figure out your needs and buy what you can afford.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin