Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,287   Online: 874

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's not just a camera thing. Graphs are usually expressed in x (horizontal) then y (vertical) terms as are on-screen co-ordinates when I do CAD on a computer.

Being British, obviously 5x4 is correct and everyone else is wrong!
    Steve, it is not that easy...
    As there are cameras with landscape-, others with portrait-configuration as main setting.
    Though I admit the landscape setting is predominant.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not in the U.K. Although they tried to make us fully metric starting in the mid 1970s, it didn't happen.

Items sold in shops by weight or volume are now sold in Kg or litres but all of our road signs are in miles or yards and the speedometers in our cars are in MPH.

People of around my age (mid forties) and older tend to use both systems for distance measuring. If I am designing or building something small I will use millimetres. If I am working on a house it will be in feet and inches.

Where metric measurements for distance are used here, it is millimetres and metres. The centimetre is hardly ever used and the decimetre is even more scarce.

http://www.bwmaonline.com/Metric%20Culprits.htm

Steve.
    Steve they tried to push the metric system on Mericans soon after fluoridated water, but it failed as neither the Conservatives nor Liberals could decide how many eggs would be in a dozen.

It finally failed when America found out a baker's dozen would be 10 instead of 13.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
    It finally failed when America found out a baker's dozen would be 10 instead of 13.
    It's only ten if you're selling. It's thirteen when you're buying!

In the U.K. the metrication board was set up in 1969 with the intent to completely convert us to metric by the mid 1970s. It was disbanded in the early 1980s

Steve.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But, why can't we just see this 4x5/5x4 thing as one of the great enigmata of photography...
    Never to be unveiled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a Brit living in America I seem to use 4x5 and 5x4 to suit my audience. That's true of many terms - 'lift' vs. 'elevator', 'street' vs. 'road', but not when I'm driving 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    As a Brit living in America I seem to use 4x5 and 5x4 to suit my audience. That's true of many terms - 'lift' vs. 'elevator', 'street' vs. 'road', but not when I'm driving 8-)
    I was in the car with a fellow from Australia and two other local people. Speaking to the Aussie, I asked him to put something in the boot, knowing that they refer to the trunk as the boot. He got me right away, the other Americans in the car were confused and it required and explanation.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    but not when I'm driving
    No. Hopefully you drive on the right which is the proper way to do it regardless of which country you are in!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I put up a crew from England and took them to a supermarket where half of them surrounded a product display, laughing to tears at the selection of fanny packs. Never found out what was so funny. :|

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And yet lumber in England is sold as 2x4s not 4x2s, etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No. Hopefully you drive on the right which is the proper way to do it regardless of which country you are in!

Steve.
    The side of the road depends what's on the drink menu of course.

I was a PAX with a Colombian pilot driving, (Avianca, flew 757s) when he almost drove into the bar we just left. He was driving on the left (this was between Medellin and Rio Negro) when a truck appeared coming right at us. Luckily he lost control and we left the road altogether and he found the breaks.

Soon after that I think he put in a resume for British Airways.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin