Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why all the negativity here? It's OK for the non-experts to be non-experts. The fact that they were asking means they are showing interest. Isn't that a good thing? Why be elitist about it? Why not look at the questions and interest as a good thing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My wife calls my Rolleiflex a chick magnet as whenever I'm out using it, usually it's the ladies who inquire about it. Maybe they see it as a work of art or they see an old geezer like me and know they don't have to worry!

At any rate, I believe many folks haven't seen some of the photo equipment we use!

Kinda fun!

Smiles.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny, most of the time I get people who think I'm surveying. That's with the 4x5, mind you. Doesn't bother me, I think most people are just trying to be friendly. I'm curious about a lot of things and I ask some dumb questions too. Glad that most people are pretty patient with me. I was shooting with a friend one time years ago, we both had 4x5s on tripods. Someone pulled up and said "is that where the highway is going to go?" Just as I was about to turn and give a straight explanation my friend says in a mock serious voice "that's what we're here to find out, ma'am." Satisfied (perhaps) she drove off. Loved it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    My Mamiya RB67 gets it too. The human ability to categorize things is interesting at times.
    Ditto, I am always getting this with my RB67, it seems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Why all the negativity here? It's OK for the non-experts to be non-experts. The fact that they were asking means they are showing interest. Isn't that a good thing? Why be elitist about it? Why not look at the questions and interest as a good thing?
    Not trying to be elitist, it just gets annoying. Personally, when I'm photographing I like to be in my own space and don't like having to explain what I'm doing to people. But, being a reasonably nice person, I know that their curiosity is genuine and they don't mean anything bad by it do I do give them a (brief) explanation.

Its just a bit frustrating.

I also get this with my Rolleiflex, but at least that sort of looks like a miniature Bolex http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/3...7a774f1bbc.jpg
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree 100%. It's an opportunity to explain that film isn't dead and explain that film is indeed "still made and available".

Larry
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's OK for the non-experts to be non-experts. The fact that they were asking means they are showing interest. Isn't that a good thing? Why be elitist about it?
    Last October I was set up on the north rim of the canyon at Palouse Falls.* The camera was my restored-to-like-new Calumet C1 8x10, gleaming and looking very sharp paired with my wooden Zone VI heavy-duty tripod. Add the oversized blue and white Calumet dark cloth and it's a combination guaranteed to attract interested bystanders.

So I'm under the cloth and hear footsteps. The young lady is a student at Washington State University who is leading a sightseeing tour for about a dozen foreign exchange students. Would I mind saying a few words about what I'm doing to the group? Uh oh. I know it's time for the prepackaged short course on large format photography.

About an hour later, after having explained it all, and answered a bazillion questions, and let everyone have a GG look, and let them all dry fire the shutter once, and posed for pictures with everyone, and traded email addresses with a few, AND listened repeatedly as everyone apologized for carrying and using digital cameras, I finally got my exposures.

I wasn't upset one bit by any of this. It was a chance to gain some mindshare for traditional photography, not to mention also being a nice little exercise in international relations. And the coed conducting the tour? She told me she couldn't wait to get her own darkroom set up after she graduated. She was probably 21 years old and had absolutely no idea that film photography is dead.

All in all, a very pleasant afternoon.

Ken

* Palouse Falls State Park is located in southeast Washington State, USA.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While shooting with a Bronica SQb on a tripod a group of fishermen mistook me for a news camerman and asked me what channel I was with and were they going to be on TV...it was kinda tough to break it to them that I was not with a TV station.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just tell 'em I'm a news cameraman for the Onion.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This isn't a movie camera, its a bazooka! Can you stand over there so I can shoot you?

Haven't tried this, but I'd imagine it would be a good way to get people to leave you alone. And to get the coppers called on you.
    Last edited by mfratt; 12-28-2010 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~ Michelle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin