Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,191   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see you have a problem. I was out walking my Newfoundland dog and a kid pointed to it saying, "Mom, look. A poodle!"

I am happy that people will ask. You never know what these encounters will bring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    I don't see you have a problem. I was out walking my Newfoundland dog and a kid pointed to it saying, "Mom, look. A poodle!"

I am happy that people will ask. You never know what these encounters will bring.
    When My kids were young I took them to The Tower of London and my youngest son then about five when he saw a Beefeater for the first time jumped up and down with excitement shouting " look dad a beefburger !" the guy heard him and came over said to him " the correct name for us son is Yeomen Warders"
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    When you can shoot broadcast quality 1080 video on a camera not much bigger than a credit card, a monorail must look like something from the moonshot. I'd say you're setting up a Punch and Judy show and the bellows are a concertina.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had some moron ask me "what type of digital camera was I shooting?" I ask him "what makes you think it is digital?" he said "it has that big screen on the back" I was speechless---told him it was a film film camera about as far from digital as I could get. "he suggested I get a digital--they are better" I smiled and ducked under my focusing cloth---saying "keep telling yourself that"

Oh yea--I was shooting my 4X5 field camera!!! Forgot the mention that to you all.
    Last edited by 23mjm; 12-31-2010 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, a man told me that his son's digi-snapper could beat the pants of my Hasselblad. I replied, "You must be so proud." He avoided me after that and would not look me in the eye.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    All I got today was stares from passers-by in the cars. Of course I just had a 35mm SLR on a tripod.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I met some friendly older gentlemen a few months ago at a large format show. The smallest they shot was 4x5 and they politely hinted that 35mm was far too small. Even my suggestion of 6x9 was kindly brushed away ...
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    If I had the time and skill though, IloveTLRs, I would consider using dry plates of some kind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post

Heh, my sister had a Newfie once. There was nothing poodlish about it!

Indeed, why should we expect that most people would have any idea what a LF camera looks like? They haven't been common for decades. Relatively few people have ever used one. Even a press camera would only be familiar from movies if they've noticed.

But yes, someone asked if my Speed Graphic was a movie camera. I've also been asked if it's a Hasselblad. I've been asked if it's a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Around here, I've been asked more if it's a surveying device. One farmer rushed over and practically screamed at me to stop surveying his property and that he wasn't going to put in a gas well. I calmly stated that his mom had told me it was ok to take pictures of the hay bales and that I had no connection to gas wells of any type.
    Other people have thought it was a video camera, but a couple have known what it was. I use a 4x5 monorail and have a wooden tripod, btw.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin