Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,645,953   Online: 1136

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We shoot off fireworks on Victoria Day here. One such day there happened to be a nice alignment of planets at sunset so I was set up to photograph them and view them by telescope in a local park. A group of kids started to gather and after a few minutes of nothing happening one of them got up the courage to ask me when I was going to shoot my cannon.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you mean they didn't ask if it was a hasselblaad ?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dumbist question I had...

was at a family get together to celebrate a couples wedding anniversary. I was the only one with a camera mounted on a tripod and it was only a 35mm. One of the kids of about the age of 13 asked me why I was going to take pictures. This was a family that didn't take many pictures I guess and saw little reason to take group photos. I welcome questions about cameras and when I showed my RB67 to my neices kids, they had never seen a camera that big. Showing them that it could take film, instant film and digital pictures was something they never heard of. My neices daughter did buy a digital SLR (Canon) but at least I might have got her into photography. Perhaps the best thing to come out of people asking about your camera is that it might get kids away from the idea that a camera is something you use to take a stupid picture of Bill and Jean drinking a beer at a bar, and something that can make a picture you would be proud to put on your wall.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Does it take color?"
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    "Does it take color?"
    That's what I get from my young daughter when I show her how I develop film and make prints in my darkroom. "Daddy, that's nice but can you do colour?" Sigh, I guess I'll have to get into C41 and RA4...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Around here, I've been asked more if it's a surveying device. One farmer rushed over and practically screamed at me to stop surveying his property and that he wasn't going to put in a gas well. I calmly stated that his mom had told me it was ok to take pictures of the hay bales and that I had no connection to gas wells of any type.
    That reminds me of the time I was taking a picture of a storefront and the store manager came out and wanted to know who I was working for. He couldn't believe I was not doing it for some realtor or something.
    "People get bumped off." -- Weegee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    "Does it take color?"
    I would have replied, "Of course not! Color photography is SO 20th century!!!"
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ugh... I just came back from using my 4x5 at Queen Elizabeth Park here in Vancouver. People really like to stare it seems. Oh well, I just keep to myself. I think the funniest thing was when I set the camera up next to some guy with a Canon something-or-other dslr. His face said "inadequacy". Ahahaha!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No. I am sorry. My camera was made in 1928. According to Calvin, my personal patron saint, color was not invented until the 1930's.

Steve
    Nice, I remember asking my dad that same question. But I don't remember his answer, probably he said there wasn't color film back then.

As of View cameras being cannons, movie cameras or accordions the people only know them from TV, movies and the popular culture so it might be acceptable that they don't know what it is. Still, they remain.
    In Spanish roads, a "picturesque" location is marked with a signal of a Folding View camera: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ignal_s109.svg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin