Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,667   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format

Advice needed on a Cambo 4x5 purchase

I'm looking to buy a 4x5 setup and was wondering what my fellow Apugers thought about the deal. The seller states that its in mint condition but i have only seen photos of it. Its about 1 hour drive from me to him and i dont want to waste all that time if the camera is not up to par.

Camera Cambo SF 4x5

Lens Apo-Symmar-MC-150mm

Tripod -Bogen/Manfrotto 3051

Head -Manfrotto 3047

The price that we have agreed to is $400

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH wants $325 for the lens in their BGN condition. They want $200 +/- for Cambo SCXs, depending on condition. If the SF will do what you want its worth a look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't used a Cambo myself, but $400 for any outfit like that seems like a steal.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sounds like a good deal to me, but I am used to other (higher) price levels. It's good solid equipment.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I have been doing some research on the camera and the only con i can find is that the back is not revolving, you have to remove it , turn it and put it back on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    Thanks! I have been doing some research on the camera and the only con i can find is that the back is not revolving, you have to remove it , turn it and put it back on.
    AFAIK, there are only a handful of cameras with a revolving back, and even fewer (if any) in the price range of the Cambo. Taking it off is not a big deal. Takes all of about five seconds. Just be careful not to drop it, and make sure its securely locked back into place before you take your hands off of it (especially easy to bollocks up when you're wearing gloves, at least with the design of my Linhof). I dropped mine only once, but I was lucky since the camera was only about 18" off the ground and it fell into fresh snow.

I'd say go for it. Its dirt cheap, and even if you decide you don't like the Cambo or you want a field camera instead, you've already got your tripod and lens.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are the spec i found for it.

Monorail length 14"
    Bellows extension 1" to 9 1/4"
    Rise/fall 83mm
    Shift 70mm
    Swings +30 deg -30 deg
    Base tilts +60 -60
    Fine focus geared 40mm
    Back Reversible International Standard Graflock-Type

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may find the length of the bellows limiting, especially if you plan on using any longer lenses or any close-up work. I still think its a good deal, especially being your first 4x5.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Cambo, the back comes off really easily so I didn't find the lack of a rotating back to be that big of a deal.

I sold it to buy a field camera, but I found it to be a very nice to use monorail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    AFAIK, there are only a handful of cameras with a revolving back, and even fewer (if any) in the price range of the Cambo. Taking it off is not a big deal. Takes all of about five seconds. Just be careful not to drop it, and make sure its securely locked back into place before you take your hands off of it (especially easy to bollocks up when you're wearing gloves, at least with the design of my Linhof). I dropped mine only once, but I was lucky since the camera was only about 18" off the ground and it fell into fresh snow.

I'd say go for it. Its dirt cheap, and even if you decide you don't like the Cambo or you want a field camera instead, you've already got your tripod and lens.

Thanks! That is exactly what i was thinking, the body isnt that important to me. Also included is a Calumet hard case, film expired, paper expired, shutter release, loupe, 4x5 holders and a caring bag for the tripod. I think i'm going to pull the trigger on this one as long as the glass and shutter are mint as he states.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin