Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,655   Online: 851

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Of course they're spam--search engine spam that makes it harder to find real information instead of eBay links. Google considers them to be spam and has an active program of deleting them from its search engine rankings.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    pure spam site--- Look closely at the "site" --- where is the content?
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, obviously I'm not ebay savvy-----never mind then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you find it a useful site then, guess what... it is useful!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Really? Looks like another eBay affiliate spam site with no real content. Yours?
    These sites are mass-produced by the owners of "generic" domain names.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, I see you guys found my site. Seriously, this is my website. I'm sorry that so many of you see it as "pure spam" and are so offended by it's existence. However, it is very true that the site is primarily intended as a gateway to ebay auctions and not as an informational hub (such as this excellent website).

I just wanted to say that I didn't throw this site up overnight and that I don't "mass produce" this kind of site by the hundreds or thousands. There are only two other websites of this nature that I currently own, one also related to photography. I am actually a photographer. I shoot mainly 4x5 and 6x9. Though I would be lying if I said my primary intent of the site was not to make money (we're talking very little money), I can honestly say that I wanted to make an easily navigable and useful site for someone looking to purchase a 4x5 camera. Ebay is actually an excellent, and in some cases the only, place to find a lot of used camera equipment, particularly large format - whether you find it through my site or not.

Also, believe it or not, over half of my visitors to my site are direct type ins, not from search engines. This must mean that they find the4x5camera dot com useful enough and of sufficient worth to keep coming back knowing full well that they are looking at ebay auctions. Or possibly they're just too ignorant to know blatant spam when they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If you find it a useful site then, guess what... it is useful!

I never tried to make it a secret that my website sends you to ebay. You don't have to look very closely to see that there is an ebay logo right at the top of all of the camera listings on every page that says "right now on Ebay".

The site does have content though it is admittedly little. I wrote down some very basic knowledge that I've gathered from my few years of photographing but it is mainly geared toward the photographer new to large format. To set myself up as an authority and give in depth reviews skimmed from other websites might make for a more content filled site but it would be a lie... and plagiarism.

Anyway. I don't mean to sound offensive in any of this and I honestly do understand the sensitivity to spam sites these days, though I honestly put some effort (allbeit the effort of a novice) into making the4x5camera dot com be a bit more than that. I just wanted to present the other side. I don't see my site as spam but understand that some certainly will. The opening poster and at least a couple of others seemed to think the site offered something of value...

Ok. I'm done. Having said all that, I am really hoping to get into ULF sometime in the not too distant future. I'm pretty excited to see the wealth of information on the subject in this site and the forums. Hopefully I won't get banned for this post.

All the best guys. And seriously, I apologize if my sight has offended anyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    @jcgates...Sorry to have offended YOU! And doubly sorry for having judged you wrong!

I used to work in the Internet domain name industry including several months with one of the larger purveyors of cookie cutter "fake" sites based on generic domain names. Unfortunately your site does have many of the hallmarks of my former employer's product so it was natural to jump to conclusions.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fair to say that if the site was expanded slightly to give more information on currently available LF cameras and lenses along with the more common second hand cameras it would become a useful resource.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin