Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,658   Online: 1015

Thread: Please help!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Please help!

Hi
    I really need some help with a large format camera question.

My husband unfortunately came back from Afganistan injured so his regiment mates have kindly got together and bought him a large format camera [a second hand Sinar F2] as he loves photography.

I was given what I thought was the easy job - buying a tripod. I went to Jessops, who recommended Calumet in London. There, they all seemed to have different opinions. One recommeded their 7300, another said it wouldn't fit. One said I need to buy a 'head' before I buy the tripod!

Can anyone recommend a tripod for a Sinar F2? We have around 100-120 pounds to spend. Any advise would be really, really appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Alice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Manfrotto 055 series tripod with a Manfrotto standard 3-way head will be fine. Excellent quality for a quite reasonable price. But a little bit more expensive than GBP 120.

I see that Ffordes has an 055XB, used as a demo, for GBP 59.99.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks you so much for the link - I've just ordered the tripod. I really appreciate your help.

I've just done a bit of research on the Manfrotto 3 way head and on their website it states it has a quick release. The guy at Calumet says that's a problem for large format cameras. Could you just confirm that he's wrong?

Many thanks. Alice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hadn't thought of that, but no, he's not entirely wrong.
    You will want a firm and play free connection between camera and head, and a quick release coupling (though it could work) would not be the best.

A Gitzo 3D head (R3, a.k.a. Series 3 Rationelle, should be about the right size for an F2) would be good.
    I see that Ffordes has two used Gitzo R4 heads (one size up from R3 - which is not a bad thing) for GBP 45 and GB 49 (the first rated Excellent, the second Excellent++).
    Gitzo makes first rate equipment, and these will last several life times. Both would be good, but for those 4 Pounds extra, i'd take the Excellent++ (which is a bit newer than the other one).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    dear alice

if your chap needs any help to get up and running please get in touch , I would be only too pleased to help out

the email address is on my website

http://aluncrockford.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Sinar F1 which is for all intents near identical to an F2. The problem with using a head (pan+tilt or whatever) on the tripod is it puts the camera very high up due the the Sinar's rail clamp which is several inches high already. This tends to raise the centre of gravity and makes the whole set up prone to the 'wobbles'. I try to do away with a tripod head and fix the Sinars rail clamp direct to the top of the tripod. This makes for a much more stable setup - very important when using LF. The drawback though is lack of movements.
    Sinar does make a high quality tripod head but they fetch high prices even on the used market.
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put it on that Gitzo head on the Manfrotto, and it will be fine. Solid as a rock. No worries.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin