Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,811   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Multi Format

Korona View 8x10 restoration project

I recently purchased on Ebay a cheap 8x10 wooden camera, for a restoration project.
    I did it just for the fun of restoring an old camera, but i didn't pay too much attention to the pictures... the auction was ending, so i placed my bid and eventually i won.
    Fortunately the aggiudication price was not so high, but while waiting for the parcel i payed a little bit more attention to the pictures. I had already noticed that the back was missing, and that the bellows probably had to be replaced, but i see that two more parts are missing: the base block and one of the two top corner brackets/springs that hold the back in place. Fortunately the front rail (together with the metal hardware, including the hinges) is present, and could be used as a model for both the base block and (eventually) the rear extension rail. The brass racks are in place, and could be used to find compatible ready-made rack bars, but i have very little hope to be able to find them in Italy! Probably the racks are non-metric, that would probably make the search for them a true treasure trove.
    If they can't be found ready made, having them redone by a machinist would make the whole project un-economic. Everything that can't be done in-house would be too expensive, for example the two top corner brackets for the back (Deardorff 8x10 part, but very close in shape to the original Korona's) would be more than 55 USD including shipping, on Ebay. I will try to redo the bracket that's missing, but i am afraid that it would be almost impossible to find a matching material; AFAIK the Korona View hardware is made in nickel-plated brass. I think that using Deardorff parts for the brackets and the tripod bushing for the base block, it would still be economically viable. After all, a similar camera could be found on Ebay, in perfect shape and with sound bellows, for around 350 UDS plus shipping, with little patience.
    As a final note, while i am still in search of a suitable 8x10 back, i have at home a 5x7 reduction back from an Agfa-Ansco, that should fit with a minimum of adaptation.
    All in all, the biggest hurdle is finding the brass racks. Of course i wouldn't complain if i find an iron, teflon, nylon, etc. rack with the right quotes; there would be an easthetic mismatch, but it would allow to have a working base block, a part that's absolutely needed, because it's used to rest the camera into, when folded, and to fit the tripod housing. The back extension rail is not strictly needed, but i have many long focals, so it would be very welcome. Nevertheless, as long as there is a working base block, the extension rail could be added afterwards, poking two holes and a threaded bushing on the back of the base block.

I have attached the two pictures from the original auction.
    I am asking for help from all the nice souls out there:
    i need close-ups of the base of a Korona View 8x10, and a few measures of the base/tripod block.
    I need also some help in finding the racks; i found a couple of sites of companies stocking brass racks, but the technical jargon used is absolutely obscure, i'd need some help in understanding where/how i could take the relevant measures, to be able to find out if there are available rack bars that would feet my need.

Any advice should be a little detailed and easy to understand. English is not my first language, and i am not very experienced with metalwork/woodwork. Fortunately i have a friend who's very good at restoring old furniture, he does very nice works, in a strictly philological way (i.e. using old material/methods, as shellac finish and animal bones glue). He will help me with the construction and finishing of the wood parts that must be redone... if i even find the racks! Without them there is no meaning in starting the project.

If somebody owns the same model (Korona View 8x10, without front swing/shift movements), or is experienced in the restoration of old wooden cameras, any help provided would be a nice Christmas gift

If the help would be enough to get the project started, i'd be more than happy to post a few pictures of the work-in-progress. Probably it would be of some interest for all the european members interested in old field cameras, as i will use products/materials available in EU. I have browsed old threads, in various forums, but all the references i have found were about products available in the USA, most of them are difficult to find in the EU, or plainly unavailable.

have fun

CJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (comprata) Korona View_1.jpg   (comprata) Korona View_2.jpg  
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I once had a Korona like this, but I gave it away (shot bellows, no groundglass, but all hardware). I think the guy who I gave it to may still have it on his shelves. I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the EU, drop me a pm and I'll give you the contact details.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks
    Sent you a PM.

If anybody else has got parts, or knows where to find compatible rack bars (and which are the specs to order them), please help

i whish an happy new year to everybody

cheers

CJ
    Getting back from digital to LF (mostly 5x7" and 8x10")
    selling Linhof Technika III 4x5" (fifth version, graflock back), Mamiya Press outfit + lenses, plus many LF lenses
    trading for soft focus lenses with 8x10" coverage - EU users preferred
    Photographica Flickr sets
    For sale

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin