Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 724

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    "If you do not do it this year, you will be a year older when you do." Warren Miller.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm pretty much a newb with LF, but I do love my 4x5, though it's used inside or close to home. I'm in the process of getting a 4x5 field camera but then I do have a 4x5 enlarger. I do have a 5x7 field camera that I need to replace the bellows on for it to be a working tool; and I do look forward to that, but finding pre-cut film isn't the easiest so far. And though I have some 8x10 sheet film, I don't have an 8x10 camera - yet, I should add. I love the larger format though I still use my 6x6 too. If I had free reign of money, I would probably opt for an 8x10 with reducing backs. I have handled a few 4x5 field cameras before placing my order for one, and I would recommend that. I have not handled any 8x10's, so I'm not certain I would go the larger format with reducing backs - I hike a lot, and if I'm using smaller format, I just as soon save the weight/space for now.

my 2 cents
    Tim Flynn

If you can find one, an 8"x10" camera with sliders and with 4"x5" & 5"x7" backs will give you 8"x10", 5"x7", 4"x5", 4"x10", and 5"x8" formats all in one camera. Wheee! If you've got sliders for the 5x7 back add 2-1/2"X7" and 5"X3-1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowtracker View Post
    I do have a 5x7 field camera that I need to replace the bellows on for it to be a working tool; and I do look forward to that, but finding pre-cut film isn't the easiest so far. my 2 cents
    My advice: Freestyle Arista.eduUltra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I didnt expect so many replies so soon

Quote Originally Posted by wy2l View Post
    Sir:

The same eBay seller has this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burke-James-Grov...#ht_500wt_1156

for 250 clams.

Kris
    I did see that camera while searching the site. How does the Burke and James compare in build quality and range of movements to the Calumet 4x5 I posted? if they're comparable in those reguards, I might consider it.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read you are turned off to enlarging, but that 23c can be easily modified to 4x5, or left as is for 6x9cm negatives. Either format will knock yer socks off with details you dont get with smaller formats. If you are going to make contact prints, 8x10 or larger is the way to go.
    Just my tuppance worth.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I didnt expect so many replies so soon

I did see that camera while searching the site. How does the Burke and James compare in build quality and range of movements to the Calumet 4x5 I posted? if they're comparable in those reguards, I might consider it.
    In my brief experience with my 8x10 B&J, I would say that the range of movements is at least equal to a Calumet rail. With either camera I have yet to complain about lack of movements. Rail cameras typically have good range of movements. It is a very sturdy camera, and at least in the case of my cameras the B&J is less wobbly.

A big plus is the easy switchability of backs. With one body, you have easy access to multiple film formats. Despite its size, my B&J is the lighter of the two cameras.

On the negative side, the movements are a little more complex to achieve, and there are no detents or markings to help you zero your positions. (did I already write this?)

Either of these cameras would be a good introduction to LF.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    In my brief experience with my 8x10 B&J, I would say that the range of movements is at least equal to a Calumet rail. With either camera I have yet to complain about lack of movements. Rail cameras typically have good range of movements. It is a very sturdy camera, and at least in the case of my cameras the B&J is less wobbly.

A big plus is the easy switchability of backs. With one body, you have easy access to multiple film formats. Despite its size, my B&J is the lighter of the two cameras.

On the negative side, the movements are a little more complex to achieve, and there are no detents or markings to help you zero your positions. (did I already write this?)

Either of these cameras would be a good introduction to LF.

Cheers,
    The 5x7 camera comes with an undrilled lensboard. The seller is offering to drill it to the specified size or to leave it undrilled. Assuming I decided to splurge and get the 5x7, is there any certain size I should request the lensboard to be drilled? Or would I be better off waiting until next paycheck when I can afford a lens and just buy the lensboard to meet the specs of the lens?
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned 2x3 does exist, one of the most affordable options is the baby crown graphic. Film options are not so plentiful. OTH, enlargers are dirt cheap now, so you probably can upgrade to a 4x5. 4x5 has the most film options, but 5x7 is pretty sweet, and the aspect ratio is nice. 8x10 is amazing but the cost becomes an issue, at least it does for me. Do what I did and try them all! What's money for anyway?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    The 5x7 camera comes with an undrilled lensboard. The seller is offering to drill it to the specified size or to leave it undrilled. Assuming I decided to splurge and get the 5x7, is there any certain size I should request the lensboard to be drilled? Or would I be better off waiting until next paycheck when I can afford a lens and just buy the lensboard to meet the specs of the lens?
    If you go with the 5x7, you can always get the lensboard drilled later. Mine came with two boards... on drilled to some ungodly wrist-sized diameter, and the other adapted to take smaller Technica boards. I'm looking to make a copy that can handle the 4x4 Calumet boards as well. (I subscribe to the philosophy that you can't have too many lens boards. )

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin