Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,977   Online: 898

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    If you go with the 5x7, you can always get the lensboard drilled later.

Cheers,
    That's what I'll probably decide if I buy it. I know if I get it drilled to a certain size I'll be trying to find a lens that'll fit it instead of finding the lens to fit my needs.

What would be a good lens for starting out with 5x7? If my math is accurate, a normal lens is in the 220mm range. I would like to try my hand at landscapes, so I'm guessing something in the normal to moderatly wide would be what I need to get. any suggestions on what kind of lens I shoud be looking for? BTW, Toffle, this isnt just directed at you; anyone with any insight is welcome to steer me in the right* direction

*lol, as if there is one "right" direction
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

My photography blog: http://silver-light0.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    180 is roughly the same as a 35mm in the small format. 240 = ~50mm
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going say the 180 Nikkor is a great lens, but there are many, many choices out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm finding a good bit of 210mm lenses on the used market, so I might start with that since it's as close to a normal lens as I can find on the 'bay and craigslist. I can add lenses to suit my needs later (you cant have too many lenses ). I might even try poking around in the local pawn shops to see if anyone decided to trade in their LF gear for cash.

As soon as my latest paycheck deposit makes it into my checking account, I guess I'm gonna go for the 5x7, if someone hasnt bought it yet. Stupid holidays are making direct deposits and account transfers slower than my internet connection
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    This is my first post. Sorry for not making an introduction, but I was attracted to this thread because I used to have a Calumet view camera. It got the whole setup for less than $300.00, complete with a lense, tripod and Polaroid back. It also included all the film holders. I used it a couple times to make Fuji Velvia transparencies. Processing was expensive, because I didn't have any idea of how it is done with sheet film. The tanks, and total darkness required in addition to the exact formula temperatures for the E-6 process threw me off. I would still have that camera today, had I known someone who could walk me through the whole routine of processing my own film.

Looking at some of the EBay prices, I may yet get back into large format. I have a cheap digital for routine stuff, but really prefer analog for real creativity. A Calumet like the ones described here are a bargain for someone just getting into the large format hobby. I wish the best to the OP.

MrCoffee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
    This is my first post. Sorry for not making an introduction, but I was attracted to this thread because I used to have a Calumet view camera. It got the whole setup for less than $300.00, complete with a lense, tripod and Polaroid back. It also included all the film holders. I used it a couple times to make Fuji Velvia transparencies. Processing was expensive, because I didn't have any idea of how it is done with sheet film. The tanks, and total darkness required in addition to the exact formula temperatures for the E-6 process threw me off. I would still have that camera today, had I known someone who could walk me through the whole routine of processing my own film.

Looking at some of the EBay prices, I may yet get back into large format. I have a cheap digital for routine stuff, but really prefer analog for real creativity. A Calumet like the ones described here are a bargain for someone just getting into the large format hobby. I wish the best to the OP.

MrCoffee
    I guess this as good a place as any to make an introduction. Welcome to APUG

If you are interested in the camera I linked in the original post, go for it. I've pretty much decided on the 5x7, so it wont bother me any if it sells. Actually, if you'd rather have the 5x7, go for it. It's forst come, first serve, and my money is in bank limbo right now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I'm about to make the purchase. I guess I should start looking for a tripod. How about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT ? The seller claims it'll hold up to 8x10 or larger. does anyone have any experience with this tripod and head? is it a good price or a little high? Should I be looking for something different? Thanks in advance

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't attest to the value being high or low for the tripod. But as to stability, I would say right on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

There are a lot of lenses that are good values for 5x7 landscape. What are you after? Galli-esque "bokeh?" Ansel Adams sharpness?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No issues with the tripod, other than the weight. It'll hold ANYTHING you want to put on top of it, probably even my 14x17. As a result, it's a cantankerous pain in the ass to haul around. Easily 12+ lbs. Probably closer to 15. If you want a wood tripod, and that Zone VI is in your budget, go look on the B&H website for a Berlebach. Personally, I think that's a little too much for one of those Zone VI tripods, moneywise, but I haven't been following their market so I don't know. Also bear in mind that that tripod will not be useable indoors - it has permanently attached spiked metal feet. Which will ruin flooring of any kind right quick. And will probably get you asked to move if you try and set up somewhere like the monuments here in Washington DC.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin