Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 947

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Considering making the dive in to the realm of LF

For the last year, I've been wanting to start out with a 5x7 camera because the format was close to the 35mm ratio (If only they made 6x9inch film and cameras, or better yet 8x12 ). Also, I dont have a 4x5 enlarger, nor do I have the space for one as my my darkroom for the time being is an old, small storage shed from the 70's that I aquired from my grandparents after they died, so contact printing is pretty much the only option for me.

Since I'm pretty much limited to contact printing, I've felt 5x7 is pretty much the smallest I was willing to go until recently. I've been considering 4x5 contact prints lately; I am not sure if that's the best route for me to take, however, because I'm also at the point where I think I'm good enough to start selling my photographs. How would I sell 4x5 contact prints? Postcards? I'm not sure if I could do that; digital pretty much has the cheap, mass produced photography market, and I dont think I could compete with $0.35 - $0.50 digital inkjet postcards and make enough money to keep me satisfied (and it doesnt take much money to keep me satisfied ).

I do have a Beseler 23CII enlarger, but I've been so turned off on enlarging ever since I graduated from my local community college that I've pretty much only used it as a light source for pinhole 5x7's for the year I've been at UAH getting my bachellor's degree. That's a long story in which I dont want to go in to detail here.

Now saying all that, I have found a 4x5 camera I have an interest in. If anyone can give me wisdom on my concerns, that would be greatly appreciated. Should I wait for the right 5x7 to come along or should I go ahead with the 4x5 route? This is the 4x5 I've been considering http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-20-inch-...item20b5dfa0f3

I noticed that the ground glass is set inside a round section on the back (the second picture). Is that a rotating back or just a convenient way to attach the ground glass ans film holders? Also that black plastic thing on the monorail, is that how the camera attaches to the tripod?
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    4x5 contact prints are pretty small, but they can really draw you in. I did quite a few 4x5 cyanotypes this year and I am surprised how effective they are.

That camera is pretty much exactly what I started with. It has pretty much every movement you are likely to need, though some have complained about lack of precision in setting those movements. At least it has "zero detents" on the front and back standards to set your starting points for adjustments. Yes, it is a rotating back, and it works quite well. For the price, they are very good... great in the studio, though not so good in the field. My biggest complaint about my Calumet is a little bit of lateral wobbliness that I just cannot elimintate. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the "black plastic thing"... There is a black plastic cap on either end of the rail, which are the attachment points for your standards. For me ensure that I don't crank the standards off the end of the rail while fumbling under the darkcloth. The grey metal block underneath is your tripod block.

If you really want a 5x7, though, I would recommend getting an 8x10 with a reducing back. From my own experience and what I've read on the forums, you will most likely find yourself lusting for bigger contact prints sooner than you think.
    Last edited by Toffle; 01-01-2011 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used one of these many years ago and remember it as being very heavy, well made but heavy. Price is appropriate, but the your biggest question is format size. As you have already been doing 5x7 pin hole I think you will find 4x5 contacts difficult to view. I would hold out for
    the 5x7, or even an 8x10 but film gets a little pricey, I picked up a kodak no. 2 for $125 with an old 300mm lens. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You will love 4x5 but you have valid reasons for using 5x7. And for that alone I would wait.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sir:

The same eBay seller has this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burke-James-Grov...#ht_500wt_1156

for 250 clams.

Kris

You can get an old wooden flatbed 4x5 for not too much moolah that will accept a 5x7 back(agfa ansco, burke & james come readily to mind)
    Shoot whichever format works best! I like 5x7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2l View Post
    Sir:

The same eBay seller has this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burke-James-Grov...#ht_500wt_1156

for 250 clams.

Kris
    You have to admit that it's hard not to be seduced by red bellows. I use the analogy that if you knew a girl with a red leather dress in high school, you would have dated her.

I have the same camera in 8x10 with two reducing backs, which gives the flexibility of multiple formats.

Here is a similar camera in 8x10. (sadly, black bellows... I am so shallow. )The price is ridiculous, but there are lots of pictures that show its configuration and movements. Good enough to study to see if that kind of camera is suited to your needs.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I'll caution you not to try to decide anything based on theoretical arguments about format size. You have to try them out! Get together with some local apuggers and try 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc. Plenty of folks here who have gear they can show you.

For me a sensible format is 5x8. I had shen-hao make me a back for that. One slice through a sheet of 8x10 film and you have to 5x8 frames.... but you can use 5x7 in it as well... and there is still some 5" roll film available....

P.S. A good friend of mine makes really beautiful coffee-toned cyano contact prints of medium format negs, and they are very effective. If you compose for the format and print well, you can make effective prints in any size.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Keith just said!!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are 6x9cm view cameras out there. You can enlarge that on your Beseler.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin