Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,952   Online: 794

Where to have classic lens serviced

I recently took two newly purchased LF Kodak Ektar lenses (127mm and 203mm) to be CLA'd at one of the large camera repair facilities here in Denver. They basically scratched their head and said they no longer services these old lenses. I guess it's just another sign of the times.

The 203 seems to be firing great at all speeds, but a CLA and timing the shutter will give a good sense of how it is performing. The 127, on the othere hand, is firing very slow on several of the slower speeds, so this may require more work.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a place to take/ship these in for some work? Any websites to explore?

Thanks
    Noel Cummings

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Focal Point is one of the places that Leica people trust with their lenses. I've never used them but only heard good things. The link to the site is below.
    http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Call Professional camera in N.Y.C. 212-382-0550 That's where the pros take all their cameras and lenses. Ask for Herb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ditto what juan said -

sk grimes is really good ...

midstate camera repair is pretty good too ( also in rhode island ) ---
    they not only work on lf lenses but for just about everything you can think of ...

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carol Miller, Flutot's Camera Repair in Whittier, CA does a great job. She provides fast service, and her rates are very reasonable. (652) 696-0759 is her number.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I agree witht he recommendation for Carol Miller. She is working on an old shutter for me as we speak.

Michael Kadillak
    Aurora, Colorado

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carol just finished a CLA on a sluggish Copal #1 for me. I will pick it up tomorrow and drop off a #3 Ilex shutter for CLA. Fast service, nice person! Carol has been doing LF shutter work for years.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should have mentioned in my earlier post... Carol worked on my 180mm f/5.6 Sironar in a #1 Synchro Compur for me - fantastic service. My 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 B&L Symmetrical in Century shutter (pneumatic slow speeds) is getting her "spa treatment" as we speak. She's the only one I know who didn't laugh at me when I asked about a CLA for that old Century shutter. I'll be sending her the Seikosha MXV from my 90mm f/8 Ilex Calumet Wide Field Caltar in the next week or so.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. As usual, the APUG community knows all. Looks like I have several sound options.
    Noel Cummings

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin