Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format

Barrel lens mounting on Sinar / Copal Shutter 5.6

Hello.
    I'm Building a cherry flatbed 8X10 using filmback and some hardware from an B&J Grover monorail.
    I have some lenses without shutter I'd like to try on this. I have bought an Sinar auto DB shutter and made an adapter to fit a Cambo. (Since I already had a Cambo 4x5 I am making this Camera to use Cambo lensboards)
    Has anyone made an adapter for Barrel lenses mounted to this Shutter, which is simple to change. I have no experience with Sinar, how is lenses normally mounted to a shutter? I see pictures of DB lensboards and suppose there is a frame or something holding to the shutter?

Steinar M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The DB shutter clips on to the back side of the front carrier frame, where the bellows would normally clip. Then the bellows clip to the back side of the shutter body. Using barrel lenses with this shutter requires mounting them on extended lens boards, which are the opposite of recessed lens boards; the extension is necessary to clear the ass end of the lens from contact with the shutter blades.

Is your DB shutter adapted to fit the front of your Cambo carrier frame? If so, the easiest option would be to get just the carrier frame from a SINAR, and mount all your barrel lenses on SINAR lens boards with extensions. It will be a bit front heavy, and you will have to be very attentive of your tilts and swings, as the nodal point of the lenses will be so far in front of the axes of the swing and tilt. It will be similar to using movements with a telephoto lens, though probably not as extreme. Using a SINAR with the DB system installed as intended is already a bit like this, but having the lens even farther forward will require even more care when tilting and swinging.

Personally, I would can the Cambo carrier frame and just make a SINAR carrier frame integral to your camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your advice.
    I did not know that the shutter is mounted behind a frame. If the frame adds too much weight, I think I will mill an aluminium adapter in front of shutter , fitted to it by a simple clip consisting of U channel up and down locked together.
    I also see your point of front heavy setup! I will just have try and see what it leads to, this is also a project to do experiments on. For the most I will use lenses with built in shutters.

Steinar M.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin