Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,814   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Homemade Changing Bag

The title says it all. I built a large format pinhole camera but will only be able to take one shot at a time without a changing bag. Camera is 8" tall, 11" wide, and 8" deep. Have no money for a changing bag. Any suggestions for something homemade? I was thinking a heavy duty black trash bag might work? Any opinion and ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks.

You might look for one of those large heavy vinyl atheletic gear bags, the kind ice hockey players use, and sew some sleeves on it. Or change film in the trunk of your car? Or the Ansel Adams way---head first in a sleeping bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two large sweat shirts, one inside the other. The darker the better.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can get big changing bags awfully darn cheap on That Auction Site... I've picked up two there, for about $10 each.

Duncan

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastic trash bags won't work -- they aren't light-tight, even doubled. You can sew one out of blackout curtain material (your local fabric store likely has it,) but in all honesty, a couple of sweatshirts (the largest size you can get cheap,) with the bottoms sewed shut will work as well and likely be cheaper.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or just turn out the lights.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used something similar to what Guitstik suggested, except that my improvised bag was a winter coat, with potatoe chip bag clips holding the bottom and neck openings closed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Plastic trash bags won't work
    Typical trash bags do not work but ones sold as "contractor's cleaning bag" in home improvement centers do work. These are larger, extra thick, and durable. I use double layers of it as window shield for my darkroom setup. Even in Florida's strong summer time sun, they do shield sunlight just fine.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spend the $10 to $25 dollars and get a proper changing bag, even if you have to wait to save the money it will be worth it.

The problem with anything home made is that you run a really high risk of static discharge that could ruin your image, or give it nice artistic lines depending on your point of view.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    You can get big changing bags awfully darn cheap on That Auction Site... I've picked up two there, for about $10 each.

Duncan
    Is that the actual name of the website?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have any sweatshirts laying around but maybe I'll ask around to see if anyone has any they don't need. Or some blackout curtain might work well. It would be nice since it's lightweight. I think the black trash bags we have are made for industrial purposes. I have used them to cover the backs of some of my pinhole cameras to make it light tight and it seems to have worked, but I'll double check on that. I'm always more apt to make something from what I have around rather than going out and buying materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin