Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,678   Online: 800

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Schneider Xenar f4.7, 135mm

I just won a Bush Pressman 4X5 on eBay with a Schneider Xenar f4.7, 135mm lens and am wondering if anyone has any feelings, good or bad, as to the quality of this lens in general. I know you can't speak about the individual lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi bruce

i can't really comment on the lens, except to say that you can find out all sorts of great stuff about schneider lenses off of their website

check out the "info" area
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/

there is a hyperfocal chart, you can determine the age of your lens, and specific technical "stuff" too.

congratulations on your new camera!

- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 150/4.5 Xenar of 1970s vintage, and it covers 4x5" with room for some movements, but not a lot. The 135 will just cover--so a good lens for handheld 4x5" photography with the rangefinder, but not really suited to architecture or other applications where you might want more extensive movements. That said, you could easily add another lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ive been using one with my cambo 4x5 monorail for a good while now and have taken loads of photos with it. wonderful lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce

I have a Xenar 135 on my cambo monorail too. Sharp lens and small,compact and light. Not much movement beyond 5x4 though.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    I got one too, but it is not on a cambo monorail. It is on a busch pressman. It is a good little lens. Especially on that tank of a camera. You'll enjoy both.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same lens on a Crown Graphic Special and have had very nice results with it. As has already been mentioned, there isn't a lot of coverage for extensive movement.
    Brian McDowell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin