Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,186   Online: 822

Thread: tripods

Shooter
    Medium Format

tripods

Itís 8 below cloudy gray and winter! So in between printing sessions I look through seed catalogs and plan out shooting sessions for this summer. Using a back pack to carry the camera gear allows me to use my large format equipment ( I not longer drive) But the tripod is the problem. How does one carry a fairly bulky tripod ? I am afraid all my safari bearers grew up, got married and moved away!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My solution was one of the two-wheeled carts meant for toting golf bags, which I bought for a few $'s at a thrift store. I use it for my big Linhof tripod which weighs 45 pounds. One of the nice features of it is large wheels, since it's meant for outdoor use on variable surfaces, and it's built to take a tall roundish load.
    It's all aluminum, so not so heavy on its own and collapses for transport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My backpack is designed to carry the tripod.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sled. I have been using snow shoes and a sled to go photographing around the house right now. 2 feet of snow with a thin layer of ice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with bdial, use a 2 wheel chart or could use a small wagon.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a cart which you can hang behind your bike to carry all the stuff around. It also contains my camera and other stuff I need to take the collodion process outside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience, tripods stable enough for large format are too heavy to strap them to the back or the sides of a backpack. It pulls the pack out of shape and you backwards. Just try sitting down or standing up with that combo! I carry my wood tripod on a wide nylon strap separate from the backpack, occasionally shifting it to the other shoulder or carrying it across my neck. Essentially like a machine gunner would carry his weapon. It's a forced march anyway!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin