Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,693   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Press shutters - why not more popular ?

I finally used my pneumatic packard shutter the other day (on a Dallmeyer 4A, very nice).

I realised I was taking 11x14" photos faster than I'd ever managed in 8x10" or 4x5" because I wasn't farting around cocking or checking shutters.

Just squeeze, load, squeeze - etc...

From a users standpoint a packard works as how I think press shutters do - they cock themselves in the same action as tripping the shutter. Yup, packards work differently, but I refer to the simplicity of a one action er... action.

Why aren't they more popular ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    I finally used my pneumatic packard shutter the other day (on a Dallmeyer 4A, very nice).

I realised I was taking 11x14" photos faster than I'd ever managed in 8x10" or 4x5" because I wasn't farting around cocking or checking shutters.

Just squeeze, load, squeeze - etc...

From a users standpoint a packard works as how I think press shutters do - they cock themselves in the same action as tripping the shutter. Yup, packards work differently, but I refer to the simplicity of a one action er... action.

Why aren't they more popular ?
    Ilex Universals are double action shutters. Those are very popular but haven't been made in years. Just about every Commercial and Wide-field Ektar lived in a Universal, and those are very popular lenses.
    I think Copal made or makes press shutters although I've never seen one though. Prontors were pretty popular, weren't they? They are nice little shutters.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like press shutters, too. On Copal Press shutters, I believe the top speed is slower than on the standard version of the same shutter. I suppose if one is worried about shutter lag, there's a longer push with the press shutter than with a cocked standard shutter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    alphax shutters are self cocking and pretty nice too ..
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suspect the biggest reason the press shutters are less popular is that they're limited in their speed range. If memory serves, the fastest speed on a #1 press shutter is 1/125th, whereas on a manually cocked Copal #1, it's 1/400th.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to look into the SINAR DB system if you like using that shutter, but also want some modern engineering and a bit more capability behind it. It is self cocking (with a four second recommended delay between shots), has an automatic aperture that can be preset from behind the camera, has shutter speeds selectable from behind that camera, and with the use of an additional cable, it will automatically close the shutter upon insertion of a film holder. Another big benefit is that lenses that are normally very expensive are very cheap in the DB barrel mounts. You can also put any lens with a rear element that is smaller than the shutter opening onto the camera using extended lens boards. I don't think it is the best way to use a view camera in ambient light (which is why I sold my DB shutter and lenses), but it is certainly the most convenient and the fastest. I think it is absolutely ideal for someone using flash in studio a lot.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-23-2011 at 08:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Press shutters sound good for doing multiple exposures -- as many exposures as one wants without touching the shutter. Otherwise with my way of working, the time to cock and fire the shutter is insignificant when compared to the rest of the process.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Flying. Press shutters have limited top speeds -- Copal Press, 1/125; Ilex Universal, 1/100 and they don't come very close to that; Alphax, ditto -- so force one to use small apertures at high noon. This isn't always what the shot wants. And the limited top speed often limits how flash can be used out-of-doors. For flash 1/400 is preferable to 1/125.

That said, a used press shutter often costs quite a lot less than the equivalent cock-and-shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Press shutters put much more strain on cable releases, some don't have a long enough throw to fire them either.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    okidoke - speeds are the limiting factor...

I'll take a peek into the Sinar DB system - I have a P system with enough bits to make two independent cameras now 4x5" and 8x10" ... might be worth a look
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin