Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,236   Online: 832

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the clarification. Never touch that stuff m'self.

What was the 3b's focal length? I ask because there's not really that much around that will cover larger formats. On the other hand, 130477113984 closed today for $408. Two Apo-Ronars on a process camera board, 890/14 CL and 485/9. The 890 covers 30" x 40".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my stuff is becoming vintage, not just lenses!

Jeff

I think it boils down to swirly envy. A bloke has a swirly lens but thinks that lens might be swirly-er, so he buys it. Then another. Then another. It's an addiction sort of like those pretzels with the peanut butter inside.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Swirly envy, eh? Maybe they are compensating for something?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach
    Most of my stuff is becoming vintage, not just lenses!

Jeff
    My stuff, hell.

I'm becoming vintage.

Unlike the old commercial, I'm getting older, not better.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see prices going up here in Japan, too. Unfortunately non-film users are buying lots of lenses- specifically I've seen plenty of fantastic Contax and M42 lenses going to waste on little plastic non-film cameras.

Call me a fence-builder/snob/whatever, but I think they should stick to their crummy plastic kit lenses.

The current "trend" here is moving away from long-focus to wide angle. 90mm lenses aren't moving much, and 135mm can't be given away. More for me
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I guess I should have qualified my question a little better.

I mean if you buy a soft focus lens to use, how many do you need? Theres only so many uses for these.
    As you might consider a particular filter for a certain look , I can also add to the mix a specific lens flavor, or personality if you will. Some very distinctive visual differences can be had. To answer the question, I have 6, I NEED more.
    John

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I guess I should have qualified my question a little better.

I am mainly looking at the +- 1900's vintage brass large format lenses.
    I think a Dallmeyer 3b just sold for $1600 on ebay.

Perhaps that was a rare lens but petzvals and similar lenses seem to gain a premium.
    I know that swirly bokeh type prints are increasing in popularity but at the prices these go for I cant help but think that people are snatching them up for collections.

I mean if you buy a soft focus lens to use, how many do you need? Theres only so many uses for these.
    If you want some lens for your collection, than a Dallmeyer might be the thing...

BUT if you want swirley backgrounds, then look for unnamed Petzvals - some are really cheap.. and swirl like hell....

I have too many lenses - I buy them because I want to use them, but....

always just one more I want..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just bought an antique lens, so I'll offer some thoughts. I'm not a collector. I just like finely made old things, and especially like the mystery of using something very old. Last summer I started using a c.1959 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I liked it! I then bought a c.1937 Voigtlander Bessa, nearly mint condition. I still shoot about one 120 roll per week. I then bought a c.1914 Kodak Special No. 1 and had it fully restored. I will use it when it gets warmer outside (synthetic shutter could shatter in the below zero cold here now.) SO, last week I bought something even older, a c. 1870s Derogy 5.5" Petzval lens. I love its beautiful brass. I love the flowing engraved scripts. I love the sense of grace it gives my Shen Hao 4x5 field camera! I am not a collector, but really appreciate finely made cameras. More than that, I am entranced by the connection they give me to photographers of the distant past. The Derogy has no shutter of course, but I shoot at night a lot anyway. For the record, I have virtually NO interest in what I call the "second wave" of lens technology, that which came after about 1885. I have no interest in buying a lens from 1900. A 1930 Voigtlander Bergheil in dark green, maybe. I paid $650 for the Derogy from a collector. He seems to buy & sell all the time. I had bid on an 1842 Ross Petzval in December, but dropped off at $1,600. I really wish I had taken it to $2,000. For me, the history and connection to the past are very important. I might yet sell the Derogy for something significantly older, but until then I really am in love with it!

New NIkon lenses are costing over $2,000 now. To me it seems that $650 for something so historic, so beautiful, is almost obscenely low. The lens would have cost a small fortune in 1872! For me, the lens not only can make art: it is itself art!

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Derogy.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I just bought an antique lens, so I'll offer some thoughts. I'm not a collector. I just like finely made old things, and especially like the mystery of using something very old. Last summer I started using a c.1959 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I liked it! I then bought a c.1937 Voigtlander Bessa, nearly mint condition. I still shoot about one 120 roll per week. I then bought a c.1914 Kodak Special No. 1 and had it fully restored. I will use it when it gets warmer outside (synthetic shutter could shatter in the below zero cold here now.) SO, last week I bought something even older, a c. 1870s Derogy 5.5" Petzval lens. I love its beautiful brass. I love the flowing engraved scripts. I love the sense of grace it gives my Shen Hao 4x5 field camera! I am not a collector, but really appreciate finely made cameras. More than that, I am entranced by the connection they give me to photographers of the distant past. The Derogy has no shutter of course, but I shoot at night a lot anyway. For the record, I have virtually NO interest in what I call the "second wave" of lens technology, that which came after about 1885. I have no interest in buying a lens from 1900. A 1930 Voigtlander Bergheil in dark green, maybe. I paid $650 for the Derogy from a collector. He seems to buy & sell all the time. I had bid on an 1842 Ross Petzval in December, but dropped off at $1,600. I really wish I had taken it to $2,000. For me, the history and connection to the past are very important. I might yet sell the Derogy for something significantly older, but until then I really am in love with it!

New NIkon lenses are costing over $2,000 now. To me it seems that $650 for something so historic, so beautiful, is almost obscenely low. The lens would have cost a small fortune in 1872! For me, the lens not only can make art: it is itself art!

Kent in SD
    hi Kent.

While I understand all your comments, it sounds like you're "just" entering, what could be a fun/interesting but also time consuming and costly journey....

You sound a little like me... a couple of years ago..

I also love the craftmanship - the beauty and the connetcion to a past ara..
    In lenses and in cameras too..

What you see in your Derogy, I saw in my first Gandolfi camera.
    I truely also love the old lenses.
    But as a user of the lenses, I quickly realized that one thing is the beauty of the lens - a second (and more important for me) quality makes a difference.
    the character/quality of the images you can get from the lenses..

As much as I love the same lenses as you, I also love the "second wave" as you call it.
    Firstly because some of those are as beautiful as the older ones, but more important: if you stay pre 1885, you're somewhat limited in the choises of different image quality (?)

I have not much interest in lenses that makes tack sharp images (I have what I need, I think).
    But the softer lenses are my weakness!
    And there's a LOT of fantastic lenses made from 1885 and foreward.. (WWII approx).

so I started like you - then the sickness hit me (GAS), and now I am lost in the world of beauty! exteriour as well as interiour...

And there's always just one more, I need to have and try...

Let's talk in a couple of years! That could be interesting.

(BTW: you camera set up looks beautiful!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1254.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin