Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,034   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    This is probably stupid question. But large format lenses look more Convex then medium format and 35mm, I might be wrong in this, but if so why?
    Different designs for different requirements. Small format users differ from large format users in a few key requirements. First, small format cameras have a fixed relationship between the lens plane and the film plane. This changes lens designs markedly (especially when you have to clear a swinging mirror).

Second, most small format users are handholding. This implies the need for speed, which in turn implies the need to shoot wide open and at apertures near wide open. Most LFers are bound to their tripods and tend to shoot at apertures in the f/16 and smaller range. This requirement changes lens designs too, in that the designer can't count on smaller apertures to minimize aberrations, and has to design the lens to be sharper wide open and have better off-axis light fall-off characteristics.

Third, LF use requires much larger image circles to allow for view camera movements.

What you end up with is that LF lenses tend to be simpler, and tend to be closer to symmetric designs. Small format lenses tend to be asymmetric and considerably more complicated.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

What you end up with is that LF lenses tend to be simpler, and tend to be closer to symmetric designs. Small format lenses tend to be asymmetric and considerably more complicated.
    That also goes for 35mm & 120 Range-finder camera lenses as well, particularly wide angle lenses, and these lenses often have better performance and less distortion, and are cheaper to manufacture.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes- compare the price of two lenses with comparable fields of view - which costs more, a 75mm f6.8 for 4x5 or a 21mm f2.8 for 35mm? I want to say I paid about $450 for my Rodenstock 75 f6.8 and about $600 for my Contax 21mm f2.8. Both used. Both in EX+ condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin