Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,759   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Large format lens, why are they so Convex?

This is probably stupid question. But large format lenses look more Convex then medium format and 35mm, I might be wrong in this, but if so why?

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They cover far larger image circles to allow for movements so need to be wider particularly the front & rear sets of elements.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, er, ah, Ian, within a prescription every dimension -- radii, elements' thickness, spacing between elements -- scales with focal length. So, for example, the front surface of a 150/6.3 Tessar is relatively flatter than than the front surface of an 85/6.3 Tessar.

Paul, be more specific. Which lenses are you comparing? There are many many lenses for every format and some are quite, um, bulbous. Others with the the same or greater coverage aren't.

For example, Ian, I have an extremely bulbous 260/10 Nikkor-Q -- this lens, in fact: http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...po/pro260.html ; Akiyan's image circles are at 1:1 -- that covers 75 degrees at infinity. I also have a 38/4.5 Biogon that covers 90 degrees. Its front surface is relatively flat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It was more just a general question really, I can't be more specific as I only have 3 lenses and have only ever seen those 3 lenses. I would like to understand more about lens design, but not sure my brain could handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    It was more just a general question really, I can't be more specific as I only have 3 lenses and have only ever seen those 3 lenses. I would like to understand more about lens design, but not sure my brain could handle it.
    If they cover your format then whats the diff?
    Now git out there and shoot up some film!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haha it's dark!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the answer needed to be a bit sweeping Dan

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, Ian, within a prescription every dimension -- radii, elements' thickness, spacing between elements -- scales with focal length. So, for example, the front surface of a 150/6.3 Tessar is relatively flatter than than the front surface of an 85/6.3 Tessar.

Paul, be more specific. Which lenses are you comparing? There are many many lenses for every format and some are quite, um, bulbous. Others with the the same or greater coverage aren't.

For example, Ian, I have an extremely bulbous 260/10 Nikkor-Q -- this lens, in fact: http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...po/pro260.html ; Akiyan's image circles are at 1:1 -- that covers 75 degrees at infinity. I also have a 38/4.5 Biogon that covers 90 degrees. Its front surface is relatively flat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I also like to understand what I'm using. So I bought a couple of Rudolf Kingslake books on lenses. They haven't improved my photography, but they help me with gear-talk ;-)
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have his book on the shelf.

But I wanna know, do you like your new toy, Shags?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am in love with my new toy!!! it sleeps with me at the moment. Although I will get closer to it at the weekend when we can really get to business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin