Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 648

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Just Acquired New Equipment - Need Help Identifying It Please!

I recently acquired several pieces of equipment that I believe are used in dark rooms but I knew virtually nothing about them. I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out by telling me what they are, how to see if they work, if they're worth anything, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few pics of the items:

Shooter
    Large Format
    The first two photographs show a portrait camera and stand with lens. The label will tell the make for both.
    It looks like it has a 4X5 back with a sliding carriage. With different backs, the camera will also do 8X10 and 5X7.

The thing with the big dome is probably a 5X7 Elwood diffusion enlarger. The smaller enlarger looks like some kind of Omega.

Have no idea about the other stuff.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The smaller enlarger is possibly an Omega D series 4x5 enlarger, the bigger one for 5x7. Sweet portrait camera and studio stand. The last is possibly a uv light source for alternative process exposures for contact prints.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry I have to ask the question, if you know nothing about them, why did you acquire them ?
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-31-2011 at 06:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    The last object has a label stating power (HP), revolutions per minute (rpm), and tension (V), and current (A), which I would expect to find in a generator. You pull the wooden handle to turn it on... there must be a place where to put alcohol, or gasoline, or whatever fuel.

(Very daring hypothesis, I know).

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful. Ben, I bought a storage unit for the furniture that was in the unit and this equipment just happened to come with it. Rather than getting rid of them I figured I'd try and learn a little bit about them. Fabrizio, the last item has a dc plug and plugs right into the wall and you flip the switch to turn it on. When it's running the dials/levers on the front spin so I'm not sure what that could be for?

The Omega looks like a medium format to me. The Elwood appears to be a 5x7. If it has the white glass diffusion disc under the dome it is a real treasure(not many of those survive the passage of time!) But if it doesn't, it is still very usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Omega you have is an Omega D-2 DV. Presence of hand crank for elevation on right side makes it D-2 rather than D-II. There is a box with a door under the light bulb housing. There is a movable condenser lens inside. That makes it DV.

It's a really nice enlarger. I have two here and they are my main enlargers.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

While much of what you have is antiquated stuff (the Elwood enlarger and the studio camera), it's worth something to the right buyer. The lens on the camera alone could be worth a few hundred dollars to the right person, depending on make, model and condition. A good place to read up on such equipment is the large format forum, http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/ A good many of the folks who post here belong there as well. You can find information on old cameras and lenses from catalogs posted at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html The catalogs will at least give you an idea of the year and type of lens.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    It could be an electric motor. The motor has what would be termed in Italian presa di forza motrice that is something to "take" the force generated by the engine to transmit it elsewhere.

Imagine an external device, such as a small conveyor belt, a small mill, etc. that needs an external force, which is provided by belts which connect both the engine and the tool. In that case, there should be a "tensioner" to keep the belt in tension so that it transmit force to the tool. The cylinders that "spin" move the belt. So it should be an electric engine for some external utilising machine.

If this had to be utilised in a darkroom, it could have been used as part of a rotary processor. The belt would transmit the motion to the tank. Or maybe some kind of contraption would have the tank rotated while being on the same axis of the presa di forza, just as it happens with a Jobo.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin