Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,134   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooting handheld it isn't really practical to "loupe" the ground glass---one hand to hold the camera, one hand to hold the loupe, one hand to focus (we're up the three hands!) For handheld, use the "sports finder" the metal "window" that pulls up from the front standard and the rear peep sight that swings up from the back---or use the rangefinder. www.graflex.org can give your the details. If you get a tripod (which will allow you more control) Speede Graphics don't require huge tripods---anything that can support a medium format will likely suppport a Graphic. Old Tiltalls do a nice job for not a lot of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Shooting handheld it isn't really practical to "loupe" the ground glass---one hand to hold the camera, one hand to hold the loupe, one hand to focus (we're up the three hands!) For handheld, use the "sports finder" the metal "window" that pulls up from the front standard and the rear peep sight that swings up from the back---or use the rangefinder. www.graflex.org can give your the details. If you get a tripod (which will allow you more control) Speede Graphics don't require huge tripods---anything that can support a medium format will likely suppport a Graphic. Old Tiltalls do a nice job for not a lot of money.
    I am not willing to handhold large formats at all even it can be done, and while i was there in NYC i saw some handholding the Graphic, i may handhold it later when i can master how to use it and i have a way to focus without problems.

I have a tripod but i don't know why i don't see many large format shooters using it, is it because it is not good enough or because of the price i don't know, but this tripod i have is measured to take 25kg [55lbs], so is that not enough for some large formats? and the bullhead i have with it can handle load up to 23kg [50lbs], what else i need?

I bought another large format, i think i will wait that one as it has more movements and it is NEW and have better lens and maybe it will see the lights more than my Graphics cameras, later i will try one of the Graphics as i don't want to test with used old camera and not sure if it needs repair or adjust or whatever, i better test large format with new one.

Your tripod should work fine on your Graphics if it has the 1/4-20 thread. 55lbs is quite a substantial tripod--that should handle any format you'll come across!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your tripod should work fine on your Graphics if it has the 1/4-20 thread. 55lbs is quite a substantial tripod--that should handle any format you'll come across!
    I read that this tripod model is the strongest tripod in the market, Gitzo Systematic model, but if it is not true then i hope someone can recommend me a better tripod then.
    I am gonna buy plates for my large formats to fit the bullhead.

The only draw back to your tripod I can think of is that it might be too large to comfortably transport,especially since your Graphic cameras really aren't very heavy. If your new LF camera is something llike an 8x10, 11x14 or ULF then you'll need the extra muscle of a robust tripod, but for 4x5, lighter is more mobile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only draw back to your tripod I can think of is that it might be too large to comfortably transport,especially since your Graphic cameras really aren't very heavy. If your new LF camera is something llike an 8x10, 11x14 or ULF then you'll need the extra muscle of a robust tripod, but for 4x5, lighter is more mobile.
    I will buy 8x10 later maybe next year, now i should be happy and start to use 4x5 at least, last year started with MF, so this year will start with LF, and hope to get a decent enlarger to do prints as well, and about the weight it is not a big deal, even it is painful but i got used to handhold 3-6kgs, my Canon with long Telephoto can be in same weight of 8x10 LF camera anyway, and from different websites i read that those LF cameras range between 1.5-6kg, i carry a bag on my shoulder with 10+KG gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dude !

That's like the ultimate starter kit !!!

Happy Images !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Dude !

That's like the ultimate starter kit !!!

Happy Images !
    This is called "Entry-Level" large format.

Maybe i should start with Polaroid, lol, i have to wait long time then

I will try to shoot only 2 sheets, but i am scared to screw up things when testing.

Can someone recommend me to what tool i can use to develop my own 4x5 B&W films? Not sure my 35/120 tanks will do the job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    " Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself "

If that's " Entry-Level " , I'm Underground ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin