Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,065   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fighting GG

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another approach: Make yourself a viewing frame and use it to compose your shot away from the camera. With practice, it will also give you information about which lens to mount (how far from the eye it is). Some use a film-size hole in a piece of mat board or the like, but you can scale it down and have the same benefits. I use one of the old Zone VI viewing filters that has a 1 x 1 1/4 inch opening. It works just fine. Saves time setting up and tearing down, lets me know which lens is likely to work, and, best of all, lets me know when I should just move on and not bother setting up at all.

Once you have your composition worked out with the viewing frame, all you really have to do is get the camera pointed at the right place, get the right lens on and do the job of focusing. I often don't "compose" at all on the ground glass, since I know, after I've set up, that the composition I've chosen is "in there" already.

Finally, you will get used to the inverted image. It just takes a bit of time. After a while, you won't even notice that it's upside down and backwards, and you'll be making camera movements in the right direction without thinking.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsen al-Dajani View Post
    hi all
    is there a way to reverse the 4x5 image back to normal view, i find composing images in upside-down hard, i know there something to attach on the gg but forgot its name.

thx
    Actually, looking at an image upside down is a good way of discovering if your composition is good. In the past artists used to turn their canvass upside down in order to see if their composition 'worked'.

It works because it helps to remove context and it's better if you can 'defocus your eyes a little - if you can't identify the subject, you see the relative positions of the tonal areas in the image more clearly.

As a previous poster said, 'embrace the upside down image, it's your friend.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The human mind is very adaptable - a computer mouse works in one plane, the screen in another, but we have no problem with the motion and affect.

Once I have the subject in mind, the reverse on the screen never seems to come into it. In many ways the upside down view of a view camera is less confusing than the left-right inversion with a waist level finder. Practice helps. It really does.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The image is always rightside up on the other side of the Equator
    Up this side Equator, just turn the GG upside down.........
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Error
    Last edited by Mitya138; 02-09-2011 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Reply out of thread-sequence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know man. The first time I saw the upside down and laterally reversed image on the ground glass, it made sense. I've never had a problem with it. In some ways it's easier. If it looks good upside down and backwards, it will look good right side up
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Actually, looking at an image upside down is a good way of discovering if your composition is good. In the past artists used to turn their canvass upside down in order to see if their composition 'worked'.

It works because it helps to remove context and it's better if you can 'defocus your eyes a little - if you can't identify the subject, you see the relative positions of the tonal areas in the image more clearly.

As a previous poster said, 'embrace the upside down image, it's your friend.
    X2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always heard that if you wear glasses with prisms that reverse your vision, after a day or two you'll adjust and everything appears right side up.

So like everyone is saying, the human brain will adapt, and it's just a matter of taking a deep breath, looking at that ground glass for a while, and embracing it!

*ommmmmmmm*

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    you know, your eye, like any lens, flips the image as well. So in reality, the ground glass is the only thing we see that's right side up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    4x5 slr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin