Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,781   Online: 1232

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have fun, it is addicting and good luck.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Have fun, it is addicting and good luck.
    ...and start saving for Petzval lenses, and a 10 x 8 field camera and a buggy to haul it around...

nn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I think you are good just digesting that book for now, and that at this point learning from a bunch of people online via random tips will just make it worse for you. Too disorganized, and too much disagreement, not to mention a lot of information that is just plain wrong. Just read the book and practice, and maybe the Internet can truly help you after you have the basics under control. Good luck!
    Agree 100% with 2F/2F said.
    Also Craig, IMHO the ground glass, movements, and the flatness of the sheet film are perhaps new features to you. You will enjoy all the steps of its use. Larger formats than 4x5 will impact more you ego than your pics.
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-10-2011 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I finally got the camera in my hands and spent a bit of time playing with all the pieces. It all makes sense, except for the aperture setting. There are shutter speed markers, but no aperture markers. Plus the 'lever' that adjusts the aperture doesn't step, but slides smoothly, so I don't quite understand how to set aperture.

The lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 6.3/210. I did a quick google search, but didn't really find anything useful. Am I missing something right in front of my face? I'd appreciate any help the APUG world can provide.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Please note, no digital photographers were harmed in the posting of this message.

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/58094723@N02/
    (you can just ignore the digital images)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Craig,

I suppose someone replaced the shutter or maybe the f/stop scale just fell off. I may be oversimplifying but if you can measure the diameter of the opening, the formula for f/stop is focal length divided by diameter of the aperture. You could make a crude scale of your own with markings for 8, 11, 16, 32, 45, 64.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin