Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,056   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just graduated to 4x5

Hello all,

As the title indicates I have succumbed to my GAS condition and purchased a 4x5 camera setup. A bit unusual for me, but I bought it without really thinking/researching (must be the GAS). It's a Calumet body with a Carl Zeiss Tessar 6.3/210mm lens. Seemed like a good deal at the time.

I did a bit of looking this morning, but since I have very little knowledge of large format (I think I know which way to point it) I am wondering if I can draw on the knowledge here for opinions/advice on the system.

I know this is a bit of an open ended request, but thought I'd ask. After reading a few of the other recent threads I've got an idea of the basic workflow/equipment and book suggestions (Steve Simmons Using the View Camera), but would appreciate any other tips/tutorials/book suggestions, etc.

Thanks everyone,
    Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some good articles on the Large Format Photography site as well. http://www.largeformatphotography.info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What he said! ^^
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ditto... you'll find a lot of good information, there.

Have fun with your new purchase.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, there looks like a ton of info on http://www.largeformatphotography.info. I've got some reading to do.

Craig

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That will get you the basics and we can nail down some finer details once you get to the point, Chris.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The first time I saw the acronym GAS, it was in the context... "Here comes the GAS". It was a response to a picture of a beatiful sea tortose and close-up showing every barnacle. For the longest time I thought it meant "Here come the Great A** Shots."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stay with one film and the one one lens for a while and explore the swings and tilts the camera has,it will open up a whole new world.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats!
    I am new to Large Format as well, and i have 2 Graphics bodies but i was thinking to start with a new LF than a used one, so i ordered Shen Hao and waiting it anytime this week to give it a shoot.
    Post images when you do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you are good just digesting that book for now, and that at this point learning from a bunch of people online via random tips will just make it worse for you. Too disorganized, and too much disagreement, not to mention a lot of information that is just plain wrong. Just read the book and practice, and maybe the Internet can truly help you after you have the basics under control. Good luck!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin