Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,304   Online: 1085

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    That's all well and good, and many will agree with you. However, it seems to be important to the OP. So, let's deal with his question.

That said, I don't think sharpness is the only criterium either, but I'm always turned off by images that are not as sharp as they could be when they could be improved by sharpness. I'm well aware, unsharpness can be a creative tool (many good examples in the APUG library of that), but that shouldn't become an excuse for sloppy craftsmanship.
    Very true. Even when unsharpness is necessary because of technical limitations, it need not be unpleasant. As I understand, Edward Weston had an iris modified for adequate DOF in his macrophotography. The contact prints were not be perfectly sharp. However, the subjects lacked the kind of detail that demanded critical sharpness. Optical limitation is just one of many factors we should always consider.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.
    And one of those limitations goes something like "adequate DoF in macro equals unsharp pictures".

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks A49 for your quite clear answer. Yes the question was not really on-topic, but there are already two resolution-related threads on APUG (and at least one on DPUG I found out).

Marco, I did not post it on DPUG because it really was about resolution and its visual perception. If you just substitute PPI with the equivalent lp/mm my question remains the same.

Cheers
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm one of those giving priority to the sharpness, not for other reason that it will give you an idea of how much you're are loosing from the original image in front of the camera. I believe the need for sharpening in PS is an indicator that something is wrong in the path.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's not forget that Photoshop's 'unsharp masking' command is a copy of a manual process, called 'unsharp masking' and has been used in analog photography decades before Photoshop was conceived.

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...MaskingEd2.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Let's not forget that Photoshop's 'unsharp masking' command is a copy of a manual process, called 'unsharp masking' and has been used in analog photography decades before Photoshop was conceived.

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...MaskingEd2.pdf
    Ralph,
    Thanks for the link to the chapter. Very interesting reading.
    I would not use the word "copy" in comparing the manual process to the filter in PS. Perhaps the idea is the same but the dig*tal world is a different story. Once you start getting close to the sampling resolution the damage to the data is significant.
    Last edited by onnect17; 02-13-2011 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Ralph,
    Thanks for the link to the chapter. Very interesting reading.
    I would not use the word "copy" in comparing the manual process to the filter in PS. Perhaps the idea is the same but the dig*tal world is a different story. Once you start getting close to the sampling resolution the damage to the data is significant.
    Actually, the result may not be, but the underlying principle is exactly the same: increase edge contrast.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin