Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,470   Posts: 1,570,917   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spot Meters

Images
    I have both a Minolta Autometer with a 5 degree spot attachment, and an analog Pentax V. The spot attachment on the minolta is too wide for my use. When I do use a spot, it is the old Pentax, but like Don, I find I use my incident meter much more. My exposures are closer with it.
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Brian, do you use the incident for the final exposure determination, but use a spot to measure SBR to determine N+ etc?

I used an incident meter exclusively for many years but have only just recently started using the spot meter a lot.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    [QUOTE=EricR]Brian, do you use the incident for the final exposure determination, but use a spot to measure SBR to determine N+ etc?
    QUOTE]

That is how I use it when I use both. For the most part though, I can tell if it is a N or a N+ situation from experience. I'm sure my negs aren't the best, but I'm not a very technical guy, and they are good enough for me.
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a sekonic Studio incident meter. It is probably the most popular meter ever produced. doesnt even use batteris and serves me extremely well. But i want to try out the zone system so i am in the market for a spot meter right now, carrying a nikon SLR for that job is rediculus..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Zone VI modified Pentax digital spotmeter. I like it. However, I bought it when the meter was $180 new. I'm not sure I'd spend that much today.

These things have become absurdly expensive. I went for digital just because an analog meter movement is inherently a little fragile.

I also have a Sekonic incident meter (I wanted something to rely on without requiring batteries) and a Polaris flash meter.

Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Les, I use the Soligor 1 degree meter except it's branded by Adorama (there are several other vendors that sell the soligor under their own house label as well.) It's been an excellent tool for the 7 or 8 years I've had it. ( I had a choice of digital or analog versions and expected to buy the analog one for a bit less money, but the salesman observed that it would be easier to see the illuminated EV # in low light rather than the analog needle, so that's the one I chose....my first and only digital purchase ;-)
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I use my Pentax digital spot for technical stuff, like film tests, where I want to record the SBR, but for my work, incident readings are quicker and more reliable, as I don't have to do any mental calculations.
    I have enough trouble remembering to pack my tripod... no mental calculations here
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a 5 degree attachment on my Gossen meter.

One of the features that I like more and more each time is that I can hold a button, sweep the scene and it will show me the contrast range. By making sure my shadows are getting good exposure for the scene, I can judge exposure and development with ease...

I had a Zone VI modified anolog meter, but never felt comfortable with it. The little attachment for my digital meter is much better for the way I like to work.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Zone VI-modified Pentax digital meter I've had since I purchased it new in 1984. It's worked very well, both for b&w and chromes. Measuring the luminance extremes and working placements from there seems natural to me. YMMV.

Also have an SEI photometer I've enjoyed using. Wish it weren't so darn heavy, though!

Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,
    I use a Luna Pro F with the Vari-Angle attachment (7.5 & 15 degrees) and am pleased with it's performance. Tho I would love a 1 degree spot, but no $$$$$$$$$$ at this time.
    I think the Luna Pro can take a 1 degree attachment.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin