Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,343   Online: 784

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spot Meters

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Pentax Digital Spot most of the time. I have been using one sort of spotmeter or another for 30 years and the zone system for as long so a lot of it is intuitive. I find the Pentax to be the easiest and fastest to use.

Working in the studio with complex lighting setups and the ability to totally control and maintain what I have created (as far as lighting goes) I tend to use a flash meter and an assortment of incident readings all tested with polaroids more than a spot meter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pentax- analouge of course! No d*****l goes anywhere near my photography!
    Long exposures? 75 yr old railroad pocket watch

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pentax digital spotmeter for Zone System measurements. I'm very satisfied.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Images
    I'm using the Pocket Spot one degree meter. First meter I've used that is compensated ("modified") for the BW film spectrum. That's a nice feature. I like the small size, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For many years I used a Seconic Apex meter - reflected/incident averaging meter. Bought it about 25 years ago after the meter in my old Mamiya-Sekor 1000DTL SLR packed up - it was ancient at the time and the dealer gave me a good deal on it just to get it out of the display case. It works very well but it has two drawbacks. First, it is not a spot meter. What that means is that I have walk up to the subject to make a "spot" meausrement - gasp! The dreaded exercise! Of course, if you read the news the last couple of days, use middle-aged guys (and gals) need to do a little more exercis as well as take our Lipitor.

The other problem is that the Seconic uses PX625 mercury batteries. I stocked up on a trip to Asia a few years ago, so that's not an immediate problem, but it's still something to worry about.

So a few weeks ago I dropped into Adorama in NYC to treat myself to a new meter. Chose the Adorama digital (the same as the Soligor except that Soligor is no more). So far I am very pleased with it and the convenience is refreshing. But I suspect that the reduction in exercise will cause me to increase the Lipitor dosage.

I use a Weston Ranger 9 modified to use silver button batteries when I need a spot meter, a Gossen Luna Pro S for night photography, and a non battery powered Weston Master IV as a back up. I also use the "sunny 16" rule with pretty good results(exposure wise)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've accumulated a few meters over the years. The Minolta Spotmeter F is my most used spotmeter. I also have a Pentax Digital, the 7.5/15 degree attachment for my Profisix and the spotmeter function on the Sekonic L-508C. I use the L-508C more as an incident meter than a spotmeter because of the lack of a display in the viewfinder. I have a few other incident meters, but this is a thread about spotmeters. However, I think that Phil Davis' discussion about the benefits of incident metering over spot metering (in Beyond The Zone System) is worth mentioning.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started out using a 5 degree spot attachment on my Sekonic L-328 then picked up a used Minolta Spotmeter F and now use that all my for spot meter readings.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another Pentax Spotmeter here - analog...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin