Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,003   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spot Meters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spot Meters

I'm reading Ansel Adams' "The Print" and was curious how many of you LF APUG'ers use a spot meter. I have and use a simple Luna Pro meter, but I can see where this would prevent someone from really getting a handle on the various "zones" as Ansel preaches. I'm not wanting to discuss the zone system, but I can see and have thought about the benefits of a spot meter. Is it possible to get an affordable spot meter? I think I got my Luna Pro for around $30 off of Ebay a couple years back. Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have been using a Sekonic Dual-Spot (1 and 5 degrees) meter for 8 years now and it is reliable and is serving me extremely well. I like to measure every single piece of information in a scene and this meter allows me to do that.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using a Minolta Spotmeter F. I don't use flash, so most of it's functions go unused. I, too, like to read most everything in a scene. I can hold the meter to my eye, sweep the scene, and read the EV values right in the viewfinder. The Minolta is a little big though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Pentax spot. Simple enough to use (idiot proof), very well made etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    I'm reading Ansel Adams' "The Print" and was curious how many of you LF APUG'ers use a spot meter. I have and use a simple Luna Pro meter, but I can see where this would prevent someone from really getting a handle on the various "zones" as Ansel preaches. I'm not wanting to discuss the zone system, but I can see and have thought about the benefits of a spot meter. Is it possible to get an affordable spot meter? I think I got my Luna Pro for around $30 off of Ebay a couple years back. Thanks.
    I've got a couple that I use. My primary meter is a dual-spot (1 and 3 degrees) meter (can't think of the make off hand - I'll look it up later). I also have an old Minolta Flash III. The Minolta is a neat meter, I have an attachment for it that allows me to take meter readings directly off the ground glass - really neat for close ups.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pentax 1 degree analog spot meter. All else is folly IMHO.
    I just don't get how ambient light can be used to establish exposure. The light falling on a black kitty and white kitty is the same but the reflective light is different and as far as I know I'm photographing the reflective light, the luminance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used a Soligor analogue 1 degree spot for 25 years, the shadows can be difficult to read in low light situations but it's never let me down in spite of having been dropped into rivers and waterfalls several times. I just opened it up and placed it on the mantle shelf above the coal fire in our non centrally heated house and a couple of days later it worked.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I use a Pentax analogue spotmeter. I keep dropping it on hard, cathedral floors. I dropped it in the sea, and had to empty the water out. (I dried it in the oven.) I cracked the mirror. It still works fine. Btw, does anyone have one they want to sell?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I own and have used the Pentax digital 1 degree spot. I have switched to using an incident meter for most of my work. My exposures are more straightforward using the incident meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My analogue Pentax spotmeter keeps falling apart, calculator dial drops off, it's the sorry state of British roads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin