Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,986   Online: 1201

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chinese 4X5 Bellows on eBay

I wanted to share my experiences buying new bellows for my Wista 45D on eBay. I knew that bellows were available from Wista's importer, but I really needed to keep costs down, so I found it from a seller on eBay and decided to take a chance on them.

I just got the bellows today, it took a week to arrive. When I opened the package I was surprised to find that there was a label on the inner package indicating that they were from Shen Hao. The quality was fantastic, much heavier material than what was on the camera, a very nice rubberized fabric. The fit was also perfect.

I did have to remove the metal plates from the ends of the existing bellows, I then used contact cement to glue the bellows to the plates for mounting on the camera. I wanted to pass this along since I didn't find as much information as I had hoped when I researched this myself.

The seller I bought the bellows from is tssy2005 - here is the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wista-4x5-Bellow...ht_2164wt_1141

Just to make clear, my only connection is as a satisfied customer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for this positive research. Much better to deal with real facts and some of the puffery that we have seen posted about Chinese products.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Paul for this. I've been curious about getting new bellows for my 45DX. How hard was it to remove the metal plates?
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Thank you Paul for this. I've been curious about getting new bellows for my 45DX. How hard was it to remove the metal plates?
    Not bad. I am not sure that the attachments are the same, however. I have the D, which is the metal field camera, not a wood camera. There was a single plate on the back and a pair of plates on the front that are screwed together with some very tiny screws with the bellows sandwiched between. I basically ripped the old material off, it was very thin and papery, and I then used acetone to clean off the old glue and stuff. It was a little bit of a project, but not all that bad. I also needed to do just a little trimming in the front, where some extra material was left, but it was very easy to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent! Thanks again Paul - I really appreciate it.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Thank you for this positive research. Much better to deal with real facts and some of the puffery that we have seen posted about Chinese products.
    I was just about to post a similar comment.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So this Chinese bellows was satisfying but left you hungry for another one soon after you got it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    So this Chinese bellows was satisfying but left you hungry for another one soon after you got it?
    Yeah, but I find that to be the case with all camera equipment...it all gives me GAS too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, and one more thing I need to mention.

This bellows is made from significantly thicker material than my old one, and it does make the camera harder to close and fold up. I am fine with that, but it took me a little bit to get it figured out, I really needed to jam the bellows in tight to give the camera bed enough room to fold up properly. I am still extremely happy with my purchase, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread reminded me that I had bought one of those a few months ago for my Wista 45, which came to me with a crinkled bellows. This afternoon I took the old one off (easily with a palate knife and alcohol) and fitted the new one. The new one is marginally smaller on the large end, but will work fine. Installation is fairly easy with contact cement.

Like Paul, I am happy with the price and material quality. I can recommend this product.

I also bought one (a bit more costly!) for my Deardorff Special, but have not installed it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin