Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,685   Online: 1139

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Velkommen til APUG, Kim.

With any kind of large format camera there is a seemingly infinite number of different lenses that can be used, since the only kind of incompatibility is if the lens is physically larger than your lens board.

For portraits I suggest you look for something around 210mm focal length. By the "divide by 3" rule this is a little shorter than you might think you want, but at portrait distances the needed bellows extension will make this behave more like a 240mm giving you just about the angle of view you were after.

There are literally hundreds of good 210mm lenses you can use. Anything post WWII will be coated, and give good results. Multicoating isn't that necessary with LF lenses, since they have far fewer surfaces than a modern zoom kit lens! So size is the only limitation - and I think even an old f:4,5 Xenar in the #3 Compound shutter will fit on your lens board. A newer f:6.1 Schneider Xenar is a great lens, the (so far) only modern one in my list of favourite lenses!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually it is multiply by 0.299 for 4*5 coverage compared to a 135 format. Divide by 3 seems a bit too rough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Velkommen til APUG, Kim.

With any kind of large format camera there is a seemingly infinite number of different lenses that can be used, since the only kind of incompatibility is if the lens is physically larger than your lens board.

For portraits I suggest you look for something around 210mm focal length. By the "divide by 3" rule this is a little shorter than you might think you want, but at portrait distances the needed bellows extension will make this behave more like a 240mm giving you just about the angle of view you were after.

There are literally hundreds of good 210mm lenses you can use. Anything post WWII will be coated, and give good results. Multicoating isn't that necessary with LF lenses, since they have far fewer surfaces than a modern zoom kit lens! So size is the only limitation - and I think even an old f:4,5 Xenar in the #3 Compound shutter will fit on your lens board. A newer f:6.1 Schneider Xenar is a great lens, the (so far) only modern one in my list of favourite lenses!
    Tak for velkomsten Ole

Jeg har dog nu været til stede på APUG siden 2006... jeg har bare ikke deltaget i LF forummet indtil nu

Did you see the lens that I've posted as something that I will perhaps buy? It's aa Caltar II-E 210mm F/6.8.. Rodenstock I believe. I will try and find a lensboard that will fit too. Anything to add on this piece of glass? 6.1 Scheider - I will have to check out that one as well.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah ja - jeg så visst litt "skevt" her!

Most of the lenses I use are from "old" to "ancient", the only modern lenses I have are ultrawides. The Xenar 210/6.1 is modern in a way, but it's still the good old Tessar construction. And single coated, if I remember correctly. But as I said the difference between single and multiple coating is very minimal with most LF lenses having eight or fewer surfaces (the Tessar has six, Plasmats eight, Dagors four - compared to a modern zoom lens which could well have more than 40).

Generally Tessars offer less angle of coverage than Plasmats and "dagors", but any Tessar-type lens will cover the format with the diagonal equal to the focal length with a little bit of wiggle room.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Wollensak Optar/Raptar 135mm f/4.7 have their best performance at f/22. Being Tessar designs, they really need to be stopped down this far to control chromatic aberrations and off axis coma (like any Tessar). Stopped down, however, these lenses can be spectacularly sharp. A bigger potential issue with them is that the shutters they fit have not been manufactured for nearly 40 years and they will usually be slow on the higher speeds, and need a thorough cleaning at best. If broken, they're not really worth repairing. Good news is that these lenses were extremely abundant back in the day and many good examples still survive.

135mm Tessars don't have very large image circles or sufficient excess to allow for large LF moves. In this regard Plasmat type lenses are superior. I'm also very pleased with Caltar IIN lenses, which are Plasmats built by Rodenstock, which are identical to their APO Sironar-N line, but usually can be found cheaper and in better condition due to Rodenstocks being the "pro" moniker and Caltar IIN tending to be bought by students on a budget. I have both the 135mm and 210mm f/5.6 versions. The 210mm ones can often be found used in excellent to mint condition in good Copal shutters for under $200 USD.

Shooter
    35mm
    The speed graphic is my lf camera of choice. The stock 135mm optars aren't bad but i've found the contrast to suffer--especially in bright conditions. I suggest upgrading to a modern coated lens. It should only cost you $300 or less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a 203 7.7 Ektar for a shorter telephoto for your portraits.
    These are fairly abundant and you dont need to stop down so much for performance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Try a 203 7.7 Ektar for a shorter telephoto for your portraits.
    These are fairly abundant and you dont need to stop down so much for performance.
    +1
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG and LF. I echo the recommendation of the 203 f/7.7 Ektar. I really like mine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin