Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,085   Online: 979

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    is LF a lot more difficult than shooting MF? As much as I love photography I don't like or care for the extreme details like formulas and ratios.
    Don't sweat the formulas; we don't photograph formulas.

Just try LF and see if the simplicity of the gear appeals. That's definitely LF's main attraction to me: simplicity. Less gear and gizmos... just you, your film, some bellows and a lens. Photography in its purest form; you add the complexity, not the gear. Limited and limitless at the same time.

If you decide, in the future, to use the analytical approach to optimize this or that technical element in your images, then fine. But you certainly don't have to do that. Remember, Weston developed a deep intuition based on ~zero analytical training, and he used some of the simplest gear possible. Adams was far more analytical, but did he install BTZS formulas on his iphone?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know if it will help, but I have a dumbed down LF video in the APUG video archives. It's the B&J video. Might make it look simpler than you're thinking it is.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, and so does Jason Brunner.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I started shooting film 18 months ago on a kodak 8x10 view, but switched to a 4x5 because film was cheaper and easier to get. I've got a Mamiya TLR, and Holga (so I can be trendy), a DSLR, a couple of digital point and shoots (all that for only 18 months of GAS) The 8x10 is by far the simplest - to - use camera I have. 4x5 is a very close second, but has front swings where the 8x10 doesn't, so it's got one more knob.

There's no white balance, center weighted or evalauteive metering, wandering autofocus, batteries, power button, blah blah blah , blah blah. Hell, with film, the exposure doesn't even matter that much, so I don't even use a meter - sunny 16, shady 8 rule for me - If i'm a stop or two one way or the other Tri-X doesn't seem to care that much, so I don't worry - I spend more time looking at the scene and trying to visualize what i want on the film - which was the whole point to begin with.

The only caveat is that if the subject is moving quickly, in low light, and all you want is a record of events, not a "wall hanger", there may be a more "useful" system. Holgas with big effing flashes have their place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Jason Brunner is simpler than we think he is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    There's no white balance, center weighted or evalauteive metering, wandering autofocus, batteries, power button, blah blah blah , blah blah. Hell, with film, the exposure doesn't even matter that much, so I don't even use a meter - sunny 16, shady 8 rule for me - If i'm a stop or two one way or the other Tri-X doesn't seem to care that much, so I don't worry - I spend more time looking at the scene and trying to visualize what i want on the film - which was the whole point to begin with.
    This is all a really good point. While trying to make things simple, modern technology can create complexity beyond what we are really capable of dealing with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Yeah, except now whenever I start to consider bellows factor I get this craving for bacon which can be quite distracting when out in the field...

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is a great post. Thanks for putting this up. You've inspired me to do some LF.

Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    I started shooting film 18 months ago on a kodak 8x10 view, but switched to a 4x5 because film was cheaper and easier to get. I've got a Mamiya TLR, and Holga (so I can be trendy), a DSLR, a couple of digital point and shoots (all that for only 18 months of GAS) The 8x10 is by far the simplest - to - use camera I have. 4x5 is a very close second, but has front swings where the 8x10 doesn't, so it's got one more knob.

The only caveat is that if the subject is moving quickly, in low light, and all you want is a record of events, not a "wall hanger", there may be a more "useful" system. Holgas with big effing flashes have their place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, that's right there was a point to this thread originally too, wasn't there...

Not more complicated at all. Borrow a camera if you can and have a go, otherwise just jump in and do it. When I first started in LF I didn't worry too fuch about the finer details (including bellows factor) and if you're shooting landscapes or other things which tend to be focussed at infinity it doesn't come in to play anyway...

Movements can be learnt later too, and it sounds like you'd be best served just spending some quality time under a dark cloth and playing with tilt and swing until you get an intuitive understanding of how they work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try it... But to warn you... Once you look in the front of a multicoated plasmat lens, you be mesmorized into buying more... Such pretty glass... My prrr... My prrr... MY PRECIOUS!!!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin