Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,903   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    Costco has a California Innovations cooler with very durable wheels, shoulder strap and a folding handle, I think it cost about $20 or so. For fun, I got one and dragged it around Mariposa Grove, up hill and down on dirt trails with a v8 'dorff, two lenses, a half dozen holders, light meter, filters, cleaning kit and dark cloth aboard. Worked quite nicely. I like the thermal qualities of using a cooler. When encountering boulders, I simple folded the handle and slung the shoulder strap over my shoulder and soldiered on. Might be worth looking into!
    So, what'd you do with your' beer?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There was another thread last month about the same subject - "Burn that backpack". There were some interesting ideas in it, worth looking up.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Neal - here's the aluminium carrier I was thinking of. It's around 5kg and looks great for wheeling around slopes: http://www.roleez.com/view_folding_wheel_cart.htm

Do you think a chain-driven bicycle motor could power it uphill? I guess I could just as easily push.

Ian - just weighed my outdoor pack kit. It comes up to 22kg. Good or bad?

Thanks for the thread suggestion roteague - I'll look it up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    Neal - here's the aluminium carrier I was thinking of. It's around 5kg and looks great for wheeling around slopes: http://www.roleez.com/view_folding_wheel_cart.htm
    That looks nice and the price is right.
    I used solid 8" wheels and I have been quite surprised at how well they work even over rough terrain, rocks and fallen saplings.
    =Neal W.=

Neal, Robert: The Costco cooler that I purchased was because of the post "burn that back pack" that inspired me to check it out. The results: It works, its inexpensive, it performs well at short distances(about a mile or three) and is rugged. The best part is nobody asks "Is that a Hasselblad?" They will ask you if you'll sell 'em a cold beer though;-)

That said, the cooler on wheels won't replace my Lowe Pro or my mule. It all depends on how far away from your car you want to travel and the terrain. It sure beats carrying a rigid camera box or slinging a tripod mounted camera over you shoulder for 1,000 yards though!

Cheers!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I think we're looking at new Olympic sport in '08
    This could be the answer to pulling off the International APUG Conference. First, we convince the IOC that balls-out downhill Deardorf riding would be a much better televised sport than that one where they prance around waving a ribbon on a stick. That shouldn't be difficult. Then we just all convince our home nations that we will bring home the gold in this exciting new sport.

We get to have our APUG conference, we get to see and participate in the Olympics, we'll all get high-tech, leading edge, graphite composite racing cameras and tripods and sexy spandex aero suits, and, with luck, some of us won't careen to our deaths on an ill conconceived ride down a mountainside in a poorly thought out competition.
    C'mon, Where's the downside?
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "C'mon, Where's the downside?"

That's a tough one. Tumbling through at the end of the Olympic large format races, it'll be hard for everyones thoughts not to come out from the backside (<;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Tom Smith]Neal - here's the aluminium carrier I was thinking of. It's around 5kg and looks great for wheeling around slopes: http://www.roleez.com/view_folding_wheel_cart.htm

Do you think a chain-driven bicycle motor could power it uphill? I guess I could just as easily push.

I have something similar that I use, its not bad, if a little flexabile. One good thing is the nice long bungy cord tie down sytem.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith

Ian - just weighed my outdoor pack kit. It comes up to 22kg. Good or bad?
    22 KG? No small surprise you feel a bit tired trucking that up hills. It's not excessive weight, backpackers carry that and more all the time.. but it's a good load if you aren't used to it.

If you can't lighten up then I'd strongly suggest investing in a good set of boots and a set of hiking poles. And get someone with backpacking experience to check the fit of your pack. It's amazing how much of a difference a few adjustments can make..

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You didn't mention what kind of walking: are you in the mountains, flatlands etc? How much does your camera and tripod weigh? I can't imagine that your entire outfit is more than thiry pounds. If you are straped for money and can't afford a fancy camera backpack I have found any good internal frame day or summit pack serves just as well and as mentioned earlier it can make all the difference in the world.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin