Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,926   Posts: 1,556,805   Online: 935

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

No pack mule....will travel

Hi there,

I'm really pooped. After 20 minutes walking with a folding monorail and tripod, I seem to get really tired. I'm not unfit or anything, but I'm starting to think I am.

Looking at luggage options, I'd really like a decent pack mule or a 4 person sedan. But as I'm just about scraping enough for my study courses, it's not happening. I absolutely love the monorail; and absolutely need the tripod. None of that is going to shed any of its weight. So I've got to figure out a way to carry it along with 10 darkslides; roll film back and a coupla filters with a meter, a bottle of water and some packed carbohydrate and glucose. I tend to wear what I can and carry the rest until I break out in sweat.

What do all you Lifers do? Any portable solutions around this? I'm not planning to make it up to Everest with the monorail - just small hills, around 500metres - without calling the ER team.

Cheers,

Tom

Images
    May I suggest smaller hills

Actually I find that a good photo backpack makes all of the difference. Once I got mine I was able to go a lot further than I could before. My back pack is not made any more. It is a Hakuba. If this is not your cup of tea there are those pull behind carts, basically a wagon on steroids.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a pull-type golf cart. The tripod goes where the golf bag was intended, and I've devised a basket at the bottom to hold the camera. I carry film holders and other stuff in a back pack. The golf cart's wheels are made to roll over moderately rough terrain. I found said golf cart beside the road awaiting the garbage man.
    juan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

the hardest mile.

I use a lowe alpine hiking pack and carry fewer darkslides-the weight of these really can be a killer. Lighter lenses like fuji cs, nikon m and g claron help too. And look in hiking magazines like Trail (uk) for lightweight backpacking tips. Otherwise you could drill more holes in your toothbrush(lol...)
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Images
    This is what I use. It has worked out great and couldn't be cheaper.

http://www.nw-vdr.com/monorail/
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "May I suggest smaller hills"

Mark! behave yourself ;>)

Sounds like my worse combination will be to go on steroids and push a wagon full of stuffed up darkslides. I thought I was being conservative, bringing just 10. After I run out, then I go home. You're probably right about using a proper backpack than a side-slung bag. I'll have to check out the Lowe Pro, but I half think it won't be half-big enough. And giving up my teeth to save weight isn't an option.

The golf-cart sounds like a great idea Juan, but I don't want to look like a baglady or man for that matter. Actually looks don't matter, right? I'm going to look this one up then.

Neal - the link didn't work for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith
    Neal - the link didn't work for me.
    That's odd. It works on both my computers.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're shooting 4x5 maybe you should get 2 or 3 grafmatics. I can carry all 8 of my grafmatics in my backpack at 6 sheets per thats 48 sheets. I usually don't though, I normally load up 2 or 3 of them and put in a half dozen regular holders in the remaining spaces. I found grafmatics are great with that old infrared film I've been playing with, they're all metal and have no IR leaks whatsoever.
    Of course my camera only weighs in at 3 or 4 pounds max, it's a wood field camera, Anba Ikeda. That leaves me with a lot more cargo capacity.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another alternative: just take say 4 film holders, a small change tent and as many sheets as you like without taking up much space.

Like Neal's idea. Do they come with 'mag' wheels and suspension for offroading?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Like Neal's idea. Do they come with 'mag' wheels and suspension for offroading?
    Forget that! If I had the dough I'd pop for a pair of these:
    http://www.roleez.com/wheels.htm

Now that would be one sweet ride.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin