Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,571   Online: 929

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd say 1/200 or 1/400 for shutter speed. I'm trying different methods of holding the camera to see what's the most stable. One thing that helps - take in a breath, then let out 1/2 of it just before pressing the shutter. Also, anything indoors, I'm using flashbulbs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    The Pressman D is a great camera and much better than the Crown Graphic IMO. The metal construction is great, the rotating back is a must, and the movements are more useful than those on the Graphic. The small lensboard is an issue but I found I can get my biggest lenses (90/8 super angulon and 210/5.6 Symmar-S) in. The plate that holds the bellows to the front standard is wider than it needs to be - you can file or dremel a bit of it away to fit your bigger lenses.
    Did you remove the bellows from the mounting plate, or just fold it out of the way?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm trying to remember from my busch pressman days...
    You can get a little more extention by filing off the extention stopper.
    As said above, the plate that attaches the bellows to the front standard can be widened to allow for larger elements. I think the max un-altered is 57mm. A 90mm f8 super angulon will fit barely. a 210mm symmar-s (the later versions) will not fit. The 210mm symmar convertible and the 210mm sironar should fit.

The front standard may not be very stiff. I had to dissasemble mine, add a shim under the pressure plate, and reassemble making sure everything is tight.

The kalart rangefinder can be adjusted to any lens. check out graflex.org for instuctions.

the lensboards can be very hard to find or very expensive.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got the plate removed from the front of the bellows, but haven't filed the opening larger yet. This is a bellows I got on the auction site, so the camera's still usable. Also, I found a lensboard on the auction site, & understand Midwest Photo Exchange also has them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Starr View Post
    Did you remove the bellows from the mounting plate, or just fold it out of the way?
    I removed the bellows (it seems to be held on with some sort of glue or contact cement - not a big deal since the glue is now 60 years old), dremeled the plate about 3mm on each side, and put everything back together. No light leaks, and all my lenses fit now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I filed mine out yesterday, about 3/32" on each side. My 90mm Nikor & 210mm Caltar slide right through. I may open it another 1/16" on each side to allow for the bellows thickness, or leave it as is & tilt the lens a bit when I install it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    the lensboards can be very hard to find or very expensive.
    Luckily you can DIY them pretty easily. A square of aluminum plate cut to size with a small flange attached using a nut and bolt works great. Otherwise you can make em out of wood and glue a flange on, but make sure you have a fillet for support.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just saw this thread... My Pressman D was long my workhorse camera and still a treasured member of my kit bag. In fact, I got hooked on them for awhile back in the late 70's and early 80's and acquired 3 or 4 of them! Pressman D "gas". Back down to the one I used the most and I'll never give her up. She's got her dings and scrapes, but we're still playing together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin