Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,579   Online: 794

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Similar to Konical, I use a Beseler color drum that holds four 4x5 sheets and only requires 200ml of chemistry. I have a motor base for it, but before I got that, I just rolled it back and forth on a 2x4. It works well, although I am recently discovering that the spout light trap is not as good as I first thought. If I load the film a day or so before I process it, I have had a stray light leak appear that I used to blame on film holders, but subsequent investigation revealed it to be from the drum. I have two drums and they both exhibit this. It's easy enough to avoid by being careful. I also have a Unicolor drum, but it leaks a bit as it's missing the gasket. I just need to make a new one.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I highly recommend the processor made by Morgan O'Donnel (apug member, search
    Mod_Photographic for the details and his website) or contact Morgan at morgan@modphotographic.co.uk.
    He's a great guy that has come up with an excellent solution to the 4X5 developing problem.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Unicolor or Beseler drum.
    I do 4 sheets in 250 ml of solutions with the motor base.

I must admit I do have a couple of Jobo 4 x 5 tanks and reels and 2 Jobo processors but I still use the Unicolor drum most often as it just seems more convenient for the occasional 4 x 5 that I do.

Images
    Good Evening,

A follow-up to Reid's comment above: I have on occasion, put film in my Chromega drum but not processed it immediately. Even after a several-day interval, light leakage has never been a problem at all. I would not, however, deliberately leave a loaded drum in a sunny location for any extended period of time. I wonder if the Beseler drum light leakage could occur simply because the pouring spout is left facing upward toward any room light source(s); perhaps facing it downward would alleviate any problem.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikor monster stainless daylight tank with the cut-sheet film cage, for me! I've done a zillion rolls of 35mm and 120 film in the normal sized tanks, so this just puts me totally in my comfort zone of processing technique.

Duncan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Nikor monster stainless daylight tank with the cut-sheet film cage, for me! I've done a zillion rolls of 35mm and 120 film in the normal sized tanks, so this just puts me totally in my comfort zone of processing technique.

Duncan
    I recently got one of those sheet film tanks & tried it for the first time a couple days ago. It loads easily & worked fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Unicolor drum and rotating base which worked quite well the few times I used it. Since I don't have the internal spacers I can only manage 2 sheets at one time. I'm sure with some clever tinkering I could make my own spacers but it is good to have them...and an extra gasket for the lid as well.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtheld
    I highly recommend the processor made by Morgan O'Donnel (apug member, search
    Mod_Photographic for the details and his website) or contact Morgan at morgan@modphotographic.co.uk.
    He's a great guy that has come up with an excellent solution to the 4X5 developing problem.
    Dave
    This insert is really a pretty good solution provided you have a three reel Patterson tank. It is tough to beat for small volume processing. If you had hundreds to do it probably isn't the best solution. But I find that six sheets is about all I ever need at one session.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Evening,

A follow-up to Reid's comment above: I have on occasion, put film in my Chromega drum but not processed it immediately. Even after a several-day interval, light leakage has never been a problem at all. I would not, however, deliberately leave a loaded drum in a sunny location for any extended period of time. I wonder if the Beseler drum light leakage could occur simply because the pouring spout is left facing upward toward any room light source(s); perhaps facing it downward would alleviate any problem.

Konical
    That's exactly where it came from, but probably more from the light over my basement workbench rather than the window. In the future, if I load early, I'll place the drum on it's side and under a dark cloth. That should take care of it.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP Combi Tank guts (Film Holder) and some tupperware bins for dip and dunk, certainly cheaper than three HP Combi Tanks. This works for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin