Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,148   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Processing 4x5 film?

I have lots of experience processing B&W film so this question relates to the equipment needed to process 4x5 sheet film. I have tanks and reels to process roll film and know how to use them.
    If you had no, LF tank, LF tubes etc to process sheet film and could start fresh, what type of processing tank, tray or tube would you invest in.
    I have seen some videos for the BTZS tubes that seem easy to make and use. Of course I can use my trays that I develop my prints in.

looking for your favorite method?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try with open trays. Of course it requires total darkness, but you will have total control of the process and you don't have to buy anything right now (I assume that you have some darkroom stuff already).
    That said, a daylight tank is nice (but in my experience more risky).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Paterson Orbital would be my first choice, unfortunately no longer in production and probably as rare as rocking horse poo in the USA.
    Second choice would be a Jobo 2500 tank with a 2509 reel. The third choice would be a set of three Combiplan tanks so that I could run a small dip'n'dunk line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I develope in an AP brand plastic two reel tank ala "taco" method. I have a daylight tank that holds 12 sheets, but I usually only shoot two or four sheets at any time, so it just sits.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hey barry,

i process most all my sheets in a tray by shuffling them ..

check out this thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...rocessing.html
    it may be helpful ... and it looks perfect for your set-up !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Slosher Tray - see link. Wouldn't trade mine for anything....

Good luck!

Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel Adam's used and stood by tray development. It is by far the simplest, and should get your feet (well... actually your fingers) wet.

I'm hoping to upgrade to what jnanian just posted to in the near future. Taco method also might be worth exploring.

I think that getting into Jobo/BTZS tubes is overkill for something you've just gotten into. Start primitive, and then work your way up if your passion for the hobby permits it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Yankee daylight tank that holds 12 sheets that I use if I have around 5 or more sheets to develop. If I have fewer than that I usually just tray develop.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I use my trays, can i process several sheets at the same time or do I have to process each of them separately?
    Also I am assuming that it has to be done in total darkness..no safelight???
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite is stainless hangers in tanks, I have a narrow stainless tank that holds about 5 hangers and doesn't require much chem. When I don't do it that way, I process in trays or occasionally in a Jobo with the sheet reel.
    If I were starting from scratch I'd go either with the slosher tray or a Combi Plan tank. On ebay there are also the inserts that go into Patterson tanks, which look promising.

Yes, with trays and deep tanks, you work in the dark, no safelights. I find it restful

How many at a time depends on your skills. I know folks who do 20 sheets at a time, my limit is about 10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin