Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First LF sheets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks View Post
    Caused by not fully inserting the film holder into the back. On the film holder, next to the cutout for the frame, opposite the end you insert into the back, there is a ridge running across the film holder from edge to edge.

On the camera back, there is a groove that the raised section fits into when the film holder is fully inserted. If you stop when you feel the raised section first bumping the back, it will leave the film holder slightly outside the proper position and that last bit of film will not be exposed, even with the dark slide fully removed.

You need to push the film holder in, on past that first bit of resistance, until it "pops" into place with the film holder ridge seated in the camera groove..
    i know about those, i was so careful not to have those mistakes, so i think it is none of them cause it, i think the only reason i can think about and why is that shot only is as i said due to that too much tilt, i posted this on LF forum and most posts agreed that i tilted more than it should be and the part of the bellow came to the image circle in front of the lens, i didn't forgot to push the holder inside tight, i didn't forget to remove the dark slide out completely, another reason it might come to mind is when i used the dark cloth, maybe i didn't notice it and covered little part of the lens, in all cases it happened and now i know all the things that may cause it one or another and i noted them all so i will not make the same mistake again.
    Also i have to check the B&W sheets, because i started with those sheets before the color, if both B&W sheets doesn't have that problem then i am so sure it was that wrong tilt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks View Post
    Tilt was not the problem. The nice straight edge of the unexposed portion and its location are a dead giveaway to a not fully inserted film holder.

OK, i will keep that in mind and will make sure next time that the holder is inserted fully tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it was too much tilt, it would have been plain as day on the ground glass. You could not have missed it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If it was a film holder not fully inserted into the Graflok channel, then that would make sense, though it must have been right at the point of almost causing a massive light leak on the other side.

It also could not be too much tilt, as that would leave a highly curved line, not a nearly straight line.

I suppose it could be something in front of the lens as well, though it appears a bit to sharp for that to me. Was there a bellows lens hood in use for the photos?
    It will be endless story to list all the reasons now, i didn't use any hood, also i tilted not only the front but also the back, so that may pressed on the bellow in between [sandwich] and made it to be there.

Another reasons as i stated in previous post is the dark cloth, but this is not hundred % sure as it will not be that straight on upper frame[it should have some curves or inclined a bit maybe].

Anyway, i am still happy that i've got something, and this mistake will be a nice lesson of what mistakes i may do, so for next time i will be sure i will follow all the instructions carefully and not let any tiny mistakes as stated on this thread to be shown, and good that the black border is just the sky, i can crop that anytime and still have a great shot, or even play with photoshop and turn that black to blue as the sky below it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I used extreme tilts, it resulted in a curved line at the top of the photo. This appears to have been the result of not seating the film holder completely into the camera back, since you are positive you pulled the slide fully out, and reinserted it fully.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I don't own a 4x5 I'm asking this out of curiosity, not as an advice. If this would have been the dark slide not pulled out fully, would not the dark band have been on the lower side? Picture is upside-down and dark slide goes in from the top. Am I missing something here?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats_A View Post
    As I don't own a 4x5 I'm asking this out of curiosity, not as an advice. If this would have been the dark slide not pulled out fully, would not the dark band have been on the lower side? Picture is upside-down and dark slide goes in from the top. Am I missing something here?

r

Mats
    No, you are correct.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats_A View Post

r

Mats
    Exactly, so that it is not the dark slide problem definitely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible to insert the film holder too far into the camera back? I have caught myself doing that with my Calumet cc-400, which would account for the black at that location on the film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Is it possible to insert the film holder too far into the camera back? I have caught myself doing that with my Calumet cc-400, which would account for the black at that location on the film.
    In all cases, if that was the reason or something else it happened, so for the next time i will be sure that the film holder is inserted fully and tight, and the dark slide is removed completely out, and whatever i can do to minimize or eliminate any errors.
    too bad i was tired and slept to late time so i couldn't go and bring my B&W sheets, but i will tell if i did another mistakes with B&W as well, but the only thing i really believe for that upper black border shot is i did wrong with movements somehow, i remember i was in so bad awkward pose doing it and i even can tell maybe my dark cloth was in front of the lens a bit, but i will not stop on that shot, i will keep shooting more and more and will see if i will see this problem again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin