Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,334   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First LF sheets

Shooter
    Multi Format

First LF sheets

Finally yesterday afternoon[Saturday] i used my 4x5 for first time, i did shoot 4 sheets only, first i began with B&W and second i did shot with color, i sent them all to the lab, i went yesterday night [now while i am typing it is a new days after midnight] to get the color, and B&W will be processed tomorrow[Today at our time], but from the color sheets i have some issues.

Shen Hao HZX45 IIA, Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 150mm, Velvia 100F

So as you see, first shot has upper part of the frame in black, don't know what is that black "border", anyone can tell me what is the reason or cause that?

Second thing, i used the color correction option in scanning software, but i got different colors result of both shots, both were taken by same film, and there is about 30 minutes maybe between the two and the sun was up strong and the light both are the same, but if there is another reason what is it then? I can correct both shots by Photoshop for example, but i intentionally didn't do that.

In fact i am so happy to have those results as my first sheets, can't wait to see my first ever shots of B&W by LF, i feel happy that my color sheets partially passed successfully, the exposure not spot on is not my main concern, the contrast of the light that time is huge [DR], but that LF as expected was able to handle it, and that first shot issue will not make it as big fail, i will consider it as a must mistake for beginner , so waiting your comments here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The black part looks like you did not pull your dark slide all the way out.

The color difference is because of the software. It cannot think intelligently - actually see your picture and analyze it; it is just programmed to make a bunch of pixels of various colors average out a certain way. You need to use your eyes to perfectly color balance something, or if you do use automation, a neutral gray card should be the target. Changing color balance in Photoshop is the same thing as changing it in your enlarger, so don't feel weird about that. We all have to tweak color balance in anything but bright, clear, middle-of-the-day sunlight, whether we do it in the camera or in the darkroom.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The black part looks like you did not pull your dark slide all the way out.

The color difference is because of the software. It cannot think intelligently - actually see your picture and analyze it; it is just programmed to make a bunch of pixels of various colors average out a certain way. You need to use your eyes to perfectly color balance something, or if you do use automation, a neutral gray card should be the target. Changing color balance in Photoshop is the same thing as changing it in your enlarger, so don't feel weird about that. We all have to tweak color balance in anything but bright, clear, middle-of-the-day sunlight, whether we do it in the camera or in the darkroom.
    Thanks for your time to reply my post, i appreciate it

About that black frame i don't think so, because i take off the dark slide completely out until i click the shutter and then insert it back again.

About the color workflow, well, i agree, for me i am not so sad about it, in fact i like both different colors, and i sure can correct both, but i just curios to know if i did a mistake to have that slightly color difference or it is normal, sure i may have those colors again and again if i shoot there same subjects at same time, but i just would like to be sure if there is anything i should know about the color correction, and your idea about using gray card for white balancing is good, i have those cards when necessary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can't help on the color, Tareq. But on the black are YOU sure? I mean, did you remove the slide completely form the film holder and either hold it in your hand (tapping nervously, perhaps) or place it somwhere until you tripped the shutter then reinsert it? Because I agree with K. That looks like a darkslide blocking light. The only other explanation I might come up with is that that portion of the film received NO development. But I find that rather unlikely.

Glad you like it and things look to be going well so far.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A really large amount of rise?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Caused by not fully inserting the film holder into the back. On the film holder, next to the cutout for the frame, opposite the end you insert into the back, there is a ridge running across the film holder from edge to edge.

On the camera back, there is a groove that the raised section fits into when the film holder is fully inserted. If you stop when you feel the raised section first bumping the back, it will leave the film holder slightly outside the proper position and that last bit of film will not be exposed, even with the dark slide fully removed.

You need to push the film holder in, on past that first bit of resistance, until it "pops" into place with the film holder ridge seated in the camera groove..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Can't help on the color, Tareq. But on the black are YOU sure? I mean, did you remove the slide completely form the film holder and either hold it in your hand (tapping nervously, perhaps) or place it somwhere until you tripped the shutter then reinsert it? Because I agree with K. That looks like a darkslide blocking light. The only other explanation I might come up with is that that portion of the film received NO development. But I find that rather unlikely.

Glad you like it and things look to be going well so far.
    I am sure 10000% that i removed the slide completely in my hand until i got the shutter clicked, but i understand and found out that it was due to the extreme tilt[front].

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A really large amount of rise?
    Actually, it is a tilt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tilt was not the problem. The nice straight edge of the unexposed portion and its location are a dead giveaway to a not fully inserted film holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it was a film holder not fully inserted into the Graflok channel, then that would make sense, though it must have been right at the point of almost causing a massive light leak on the other side.

It also could not be too much tilt, as that would leave a highly curved line, not a nearly straight line.

I suppose it could be something in front of the lens as well, though it appears a bit too sharp for that to me. Was there a bellows lens hood in use for the photos?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-19-2011 at 11:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin