Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,776   Online: 1121

Shooter
    Pinhole

Light trapping and filmholder support

For a homebrew camera, would anyone have the ability (and cheer) to email me a photo of the place where the filmholder seats on their camera back. I am trying to figure out how to 'deal' with the rib that fits into some sort of groove, serving apparently as both a light trap and preventing the filmholder from flying out with the darkslide.

I have tried one approach I did not like and before I revamp it maybe I need to see what a 'real' camera looks like :O)

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just picking up the camera that's closest at hand--a Linhof Tech V--it's just a simple channel. It doesn't have to be extremely precise, and a little play will allow for slight differences in the lengths of different holders due to the thickness of the tape at the end and such. If you're doing this with a router, just cut a square dado about 1/4" wide in the right spot, and that should do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As David suggested, it's just a channel and (for a wooden camera) can be cut on a router table. The photos show various stages of a 7x17 back I've just completed. A blind slot will have rounded ends by necessity. In my case I solved that problem by cutting away a large rabbet on either side. The rails then sit flush against the step as shown in the second photo. You could instead simply cut the channel slightly longer than the film holder is wide so that the rails overlie the ends.

-Will

My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you both.

Murray
    Murray

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would like to see more of the 7x17 back as I would love to adapt a Kodak 2d 5x7 into just that format.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin