Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 702

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Examples of 120mm Super Angulon on 8x10?

I have an opportunity to get a modern 120mm f/8 Super Angulon and I want to know if anyone has examples of this lens on 8x10 they can post. The lens is in another state, so I cannot try it first. I know some people use the Nikkor SW 120mm or the 121mm Super Angulon, but they are not the lens in question. I appreciate any help.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I have an opportunity to get a modern 120mm f/8 Super Angulon and I want to know if anyone has examples of this lens on 8x10 they can post. The lens is in another state, so I cannot try it first. I know some people use the Nikkor SW 120mm or the 121mm Super Angulon, but they are not the lens in question. I appreciate any help.
    Fred Picker used to own one and loved it. A few might not always have agreed with Fred, but he was very good at what he did. The 120mm SA was one of his favorite lenses. Do a search?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've searched the internet for examples, but I only get some using the Nikkor. It looks like Picker didn't state on his site which images used which lens.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I posted some shots with a Fuji 125 on 8x10 (well, just one), if you are just interested in the angle of view. The Angulon has a little more coverage (the Fuji clips the corners slightly, but easily cropped out when printing). I could scan in some other prints if you are interested.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=63370

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Fred Picker used to own one and loved it. A few might not always have agreed with Fred, but he was very good at what he did. The 120mm SA was one of his favorite lenses. Do a search?
    Yes, but Fred used the 120SA on 4x5, whereas the OP was asking about 8x10. Fred advocated lenses with gobs of coverage so one never had to worry about it, and came to recommend the 120/210 combination as his ideal for 4x5 usage. I forget which 210 he pushed but am pretty sure it was Schneider as well. He sold both through Zone VI at one time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks IC-Racer! The scan you posted there didn't show the corners too well, so more examples would help. The other guy's 115mm Caltar was impressive, too. I like your Shen-Hao, has it been good to work with?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    that lens is going to cover but not all that well...for the life of me I owned that and with all due respect to Fred I hated it!! there are not that many options; possibly look for the 150 something mm Wolly wide angle (I'm looking for one myself but for whole plate); that lens will cover just fine
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 that I own covers 8x10 with about 1mm to spare at infinity. It's my most used 8x10 lens for dramatic wide landscapes. Corner definition is a little dark (haven't got a centre filter) but surprisingly sharp at f22 and smaller although I would not put a key compositional element there.

The Schneider Super Angulon 120mm f8 lens I have borrowed does actually cover 8x10 better (maybe 5mm better) but doesn't represent a big enough advance on my old SA 121mm for me to splash out the necessary dollars.

My 159mm f9.5 Wollensak swallows 8x10 easily and on my Tachihara 810HD I can't bend the camera enough to run out of coverage. Whether coverage means "image circle" or "illumination circle" is moot because at f32 they look exactly the same; to my eyes at least.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Maris. Peter, I used to have the Wollensak and hated it. It covered well enough, but wasn't sharp by any measure.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks to you too Greg...won't spend any more time looking for one of those!
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin