Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,273   Online: 947

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

4 X 5 wooden field camera

I bought a 4X5 woodend field camera at a tag sale last year. It looks very similar to a Wista. Problem is there is no markings anywhere on the camera as to who manufactured it. I can't figure out how to close it. It supposedly folds as does the Wista. Only identifying markings is that is made in India.
    Does anyone know where I might some info??

Thanks in Advance

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Posting a picture would help greatly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    B&H and Adorama used to sell Indian-made Wista copies under the "Rajah" brand in the 1980s and 1990s.

I’ve no idea where to find further information. View cameras rarely have documentation in the box. That was the case for the two Cambos and the 8” x 10” Tachihara I bought new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my Wista, the general process is to loosen all movements, slide the front standard back into the body, press the front tilt arms to move them off the zero detents, then fold the camera together. The reason for loosening everything is to allow the various parts to adjust as the camera is folded. If it won't go easily, it is not being done right 8-)

Unless you know that you have clearance, don't leave a lens mounted or else you may damage the ground glass.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    B&H and Adorama used to sell Indian-made Wista copies under the "Rajah" brand in the 1980s and 1990s.
    My 80's Rajah was a direct copy of a Deardorff Special.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Trying to figure out how to insert a picture!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have attached 2 pics of the actual camera.

Thanks

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0137a.JPG   DSC_0138a.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wooden folders fold in basically one of two ways. Unfortunately, it's harder to describe than to do, but here goes.

1. Like a Wista (these are the minority) as described above: one first uses the focusing knobs to get the bed of the camera to "zero" position, i.e., in and (usually) flush with the back. Then one loosens the locks for the front standard along with the rise/fall knobs and the tilt locks. You then slide the front all the way in to the camera body, push on the tilt locks to get them free from the detents and let the front standard tip forward till it is lying on the camera bed. You then loosen the back tilt locks, and tilt the back forward and closed.

2. Similar, except the front standard is not pushed all the way back. Most cameras of this type do not have front standards that slide. Once you have the bed in "zero" position, you loosen the rise/fall knobs and the front tilt locks. Then, while pushing the tilt arms back toward the back of the camera, lift and tilt the front lens standard forward so that it lies flat on the camera bed. Once it is in the proper position, loosen the tilt locks for the back and fold it closed.

If all this seems gibberish, don't worry. It's often hard to describe simple things like this. Maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XH_J...eature=related

There are other videos on youtube as well that might help. Search on large format camera and view camera.

Best and good luck,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin